HSS tool blanks

Thank you for your help here. This quote from one of the pages is saying Crucible is not producing... Is that a different subject?
Crucible Steel Selector (No longer producing products but very good information)

One bit that I like is Crucible's Rex 95.

I like Crucible also & use them quite often. Not tool bits though. Many of my knives have blades made from various Crucible CPM alloys. I almost always carry a knife on me. :)

Thank you for your help here. This quote from one of the pages is saying Crucible is not producing... Is that a different subject?
Crucible Steel Selector (No longer producing products but very good information)

Not sure if they're making bits or not but you will find them for sale on ebay.

My best advice - buy some mild steel keystock in the size you plan to use and learn to grind tools with that. When you can grind a tool shape you are satisfied with then change to M2 HSS. When you have M2 tools that work as you intend, try cobalt or the Tungsten tools. Trust me; grinding cobalt as a first tool does not usually work out well. They take more skill to grind well.

Clearly, Chinese bits are the cheapest way to go. My experience is that they do not hold an edge as long but they work pretty well. When I experiment with a tool, this is what I use until I get it exactly right. Then I grind one from a blank I trust.

Good idea on the key way material.

To the original question I would say get both 1/2 and 3/8th blanks. Don't limit your tool choices prematurely and try to use the largest tool available unless a smaller one is required for the job.

No one I know wants to do more grinding than they need to (with two exceptions maybe). But we must not develop an aversion to grinding. If grinding becomes a chore it is usually because the grinding equipment used is not adequate. I would not compromise on the quality of steel in a tool because of grinding difficulties. Upgrade your grinding equipment as necessary. There is no better feeling than being able to solve the grinding issue and not have a hesitation to grind any HSS or carbide tool.

Likewise I would not waste time grinding anything that is not going to be used. If you start with a quality blank and practice on the real thing then you don't have to start over when you are finished. It is way easier to change the profile or sharpen a tool than it is to start from scratch.

Unless you have much experience grinding with precision, avoid grinding freehand. That approach will have you hating grinding lathe tools forever. With a way to control angles consistently you will minimize effort and frustration. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Thanks Toz, I did pick up an 8" grinder, and a change of wheels, hopefully I'll get the hang of grinding the shapes needed.

One thing that you might want to consider is to use an angle grinder to rough in the bit before taking it to your bench grinder. I never though of using an angle grinder on a tool bit until I saw a YouTube video series between Adam Booth-- Abom79 and Tom Lipton--OxToolCo entitled Chip Control on Adam's youtube and Chip Control to Major Tom on Tom Lipton's site.
Good luck and have fun, (remember this is supposed to be fun :) )

A good source for bits are estate sales as often you can find a box of them for a buck.

We use carbide for everything but have boxes of the other for tinkering someday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thank you for the videos, we were out on a call, and I checked in, I'll watch them when the sun comes up.

Back