HTP Arctic Chill TIG Cooler Mod, a la This Old Tony

Thanks for posting this. I just finished a huge welding project and by the time I was finished, I wanted to throw my arctic water cooler out the door!
I work with it about 4feet away and I can't hear the TV in the shop without cranking it to 50!
I'm ordering fans NOW! I can't take it anymore!

Yeah I did that mod a few yrs ago, or at least the first phase, like you. TOT ‘s mod also includes a thermostat; i bought that too, but never bothered installing it. Very happy w it, every time I use my TIG welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice work. Seems like here is where a submersible pump would really quiet things down. Mike

@Weldo

Thanks for the great write-up and all those pictures.
I know it takes some work and it is much appreciated.

However, now I'll hafta open my Everlast cooler to see if it's the fans or the pump that are so friggin loud......

-brino

This makes me think about replacing the hovercraft-grade fans in my Primeweld unit...

Were you referring to the PW water cooler, TIG225, or one of their other welders?

I bought the parts for my TIG225 but haven't swapped yet. It uses 2 standard 120mm fans and they plug into one of the PCBs. I debated getting a PWM temp controller, but quality fans should be pretty quiet. Like @Weldo pointed out: you do want to make sure you get a fan which is designed to work on a radiator/heatsink (not a case fan). The TIG225 fans are right up against some big heat sinks and one of them is also ducted. I'm designing a duct adapter for the new fans because they are about 1/2" thinner than the original fans. If you're interested I can dig up the part #'s for the plugs/pins/fans and share the duct once I make it.

I had opened up the water cooler when i first got it and its nearly identical to the HTP and Everlast, so what Weldo did should work for these models too.

Were you referring to the PW water cooler, TIG225, or one of their other welders?

I bought the parts for my TIG225 but haven't swapped yet. It uses 2 standard 120mm fans and they plug into one of the PCBs. I debated getting a PWM temp controller, but quality fans should be pretty quiet. Like @Weldo pointed out: you do want to make sure you get a fan which is designed to work on a radiator/heatsink (not a case fan). The TIG225 fans are right up against some big heat sinks and one of them is also ducted. I'm designing a duct adapter for the new fans because they are about 1/2" thinner than the original fans. If you're interested I can dig up the part #'s for the plugs/pins/fans and share the duct once I make it.

I had opened up the water cooler when i first got it and its nearly identical to the HTP and Everlast, so what Weldo did should work for these models too.
For the TIG225.
I'd love to see what you come with. It's a ways down my project list but moves up a notch or two every time I turn it on.

I'm convinced these all come out of the same factory and get named for the guy peddling them. If these fans are so quiet, I see no reason they can't just run full time.

Thanks for this set of posts. I'm sure my current Miller cooling system is noisy but the welder is so noisy that it doesn't contribute much to the overall sound level. When I. someday in the future, retire the transformer TIG machine in favor of an inverter type the cooler's noise will be something I'll want to improve on.

Mad at my over priced water cooler is an understatement!!!!! I dorked up and got the non PST fans. :rolleyes: So I'm just delayed another day or two for the amazon truck.

Back