Huanyang Vfd On A Bridgeport Clone

Nice install. But I see a problem.

How are you going to tilt your head without some slack in your wiring? Or did I miss something?

That's a very good question Ken. ;) I noticed the same thing a few days ago.... :confused:

A couple of comments... first, I have been in this trade for more than 35 years, and the last time I needed to tilt the head was probably 30 years ago (that's assuming I ever did - I don't remember). :eek: And second, if I need to tilt the head sometime in my lifetime, I'll spend the extra few minutes it would take to install a longer wire (or maybe just unbolt the junction box temporarily).

I don't see it ever being an issue. ;)

Me too! In the past 30 plus years, I've only needed to tilt the head once that i can recall, too! Had to re-cut a angled flat on the bottom of a tailstock base to clean it up from years of wear and abuse the old lathe had been through. Any other time I've needed to cut anything angular I have a tilting RT and all angle vise I use.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm fixing to install two of these VFD's I've bought on a couple of lathes I have. I like some of your neat ways of "hiding" the wiring. I'll have to keep that in mind when installing the VFD's. Thanks for sharing!

I tilted my head a year or two ago and after I got it realigned I swore I'd never move it again. Beautiful job on the work that was done.

Hello all. My name is Smokeyjoel3355. I have a machine shop behind my house this I use for equipment and pleasure. I am a Retired Tennessee State Trooper, so I went to school to be a Machinist after I retired. I really like making parts for my equipment, machines, and to help friends and family. I do not know how to join in with you all so any advise on adding comments and photos would be appreciated.
I am at present adding a Huanyang vfd to my Grizzly 3616 mill and my 10 in x 38 in. Clausing lathe. I have been trying to find help with the programming of the vfd and push button station. I have wired my vfd power and ran shielded control wire to my mill. I made my shield wire cable by wrapping copper tape around the length of thermostat cable. I have also run the shield cable through a water tight cable from the 4 button station to the Huanyang vfd. The 4 button station is mounted to the side of my mill head. (I don't know how to add photos yet to show you all my setup.)
I think my station is wired correctly but I do not know how to wire and program the control wiring for the vfd. The buttons on the station are START,STOP, 2 single buttons with NO AND NC contractors. FOWARD, REVERSE, is one button with foward NO contactor one side and reverse NC contactor on the other side . THE POTENTIOMETER is a 3 pole.

Again any help would be much appreciated.

Smokeyjoel3355

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard Smokeyjoel3355. You have to have about 3 posts before you can attach pictures. You'll get there pretty quick.

Look at the wiring diagram in your manual. It's page 12 in my copy. We'll help you through the symbols if you have trouble with them, it can be a little daunting at first glance. And the manual in general is difficult to translate, and in addition the Huanyang VFDs are a bit quirky.

In general you have to set the Motor Voltage, Motor Amps, Poles, Base Frequency, Acceleration, Deceleration, and Operating Mode. It's best to get it running from the keypad first, then switch the mode to remote (your new panel) after you have it set up correctly and the motor is running correctly.

Thanks JimDawson,
I will start a post today.
I do have the wiring diagram but I was not sure about the common and volts. I have these questions:

1. The diagram shows the control places to wire the forward and reverse switch to two contactors, for no, and rev nc. with a red and a black wire on one end to go to the for/ rev contacts on the vfd. I also have a jumper across the other end of the 2 contactors with a green wire doubled up with one end of the jumper going to the DCM.
2. I have PDOO1 SET TO (1) EXTERNAL CONTROL.
I have PDO44 SET TO (5) FOR THE RUN FUNCTION.
I hace PDO45 SET TO (5) FOR F/R

Does that sound correct? I can wire houses because I know how it works visualize how the switches but not how the n/o and n/c work. Also others has the turm DCM ACCROSS FOR/REV, OR START AND STOP. Does that mean the way I doubled up with the jumper on the end of the n0/nc contacts and run to the DCM is correct?

Thanks for any help. I do not want to put the wrong codes in and damage the vfd.

You never know the day nor the hour.

Smokey Joel 3355

Let's start with a few standard definitions just to get on the same page.

N/O = Normally Open Contacts, actuate the switch to Close the Contacts
N/C = Normally Closed Contacts, actuate the switch to Open the Contacts.
Terminal = the screw you hook the wires to, like on the switch or VFD terminal block
Contacts = the switch contacts, the actual switch inside the Contact Block on the switch.
Contactor = a large relay normally used for heavy power loads or motor starting.

A light switch in a house is usually considered a N/O switch, when you actuate the switch the Contacts Close and the light turns on.

DCM is the common, it should be wired through the N/C Stop Button Contacts, then to one side of the For/Rev N/O contact terminal and one side of the Start switch N/O contact terminal. The other side of the For/Rev and Start switch should be wired to the proper terminals on the VFD terminal block.

The Stop button should be a Maintained Position switch. Think light switch again, you flip the switch and the light stays on until you turn the switch Off again. The Starter switch in you car is a Momentary Contact switch, it springs back when you release the key after starting. I think the VFD can be setup to accept a Momentary Position switch for the start terminal.

Take a look at this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-wiring-setup-vfd-newbie.34107/

Below is a wiring diagram just for ease of reference later

FQTM3DFGWF6ETFW.MEDIUM.jpg

Let's start with a few standard definitions just to get on the same page.

N/O = Normally Open Contacts, actuate the switch to Close the Contacts
N/C = Normally Closed Contacts, actuate the switch to Open the Contacts.
Terminal = the screw you hook the wires to, like on the switch or VFD terminal block
Contacts = the switch contacts, the actual switch inside the Contact Block on the switch.
Contactor = a large relay normally used for heavy power loads or motor starting.

A light switch in a house is usually considered a N/O switch, when you actuate the switch the Contacts Close and the light turns on.

DCM is the common, it should be wired through the N/C Stop Button Contacts, then to one side of the For/Rev N/O contact terminal and one side of the Start switch N/O contact terminal. The other side of the For/Rev and Start switch should be wired to the proper terminals on the VFD terminal block.

The Stop button should be a Maintained Position switch. Think light switch again, you flip the switch and the light stays on until you turn the switch Off again. The Starter switch in you car is a Momentary Contact switch, it springs back when you release the key after starting. I think the VFD can be setup to accept a Momentary Position switch for the start terminal.

Take a look at this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-wiring-setup-vfd-newbie.34107/

Below is a wiring diagram just for ease of reference later

FQTM3DFGWF6ETFW.MEDIUM.jpg
Thank you JimDawson for your reply. I will study up on my definitions. I thank you for your reply. All you members seem to be really good about helping others. I will study the information and reply back.
SmokeyJoel3355

Thank you "Aero Hawk" I borrowed your idea on cleaning up the wiring for the HY VFD and I opted to use a remote control panel with a long 10 pin ribbon cable (AliExpress $13) and installed the control panel on a metal weather resistant conduit box, and welded tabs on some scrap steel to locate the VFD remote control panel near the operators controls, bit no hi voltage and all chip and coolant splash resistant. Here are some photos:20180331_095417.jpg20180331_110928.jpgHY electrical base parts.jpg20180402_113342.jpg20180402_130034.jpg20180402_131536.jpg20180402_133800.jpg20180402_160524.jpg20180402_185237.jpg

20180331_110928.jpg

Last edited:
Back