[How do I?] Huanyang VFD over voltage error

jwood73

Registered
Registered
So I have a Hy 2.2kW VFD to allow for variable speed on my belt grinder, I just switched to an external pot to control my speed as playing around with those arrows gets old, plus I am moving my VFD to an enclosure away from the dust. I have the pot and an external run/stop switch working; however, when I slow down my speed with the pot I trip the VFD and get the error code E.o.V.d, which is over voltage on deceleration. The manual said to use a braking resistor to remedy this, I picked the 70 ohm 300 W braking resistor that the manual said to use for my model and wired it into the P+ and PR lugs on my VFD. I thought this was the end of my problems, however my VFD still trips on decel. I set the stopping mode to decel, my dc braking time at stop to 2.5, and have my braking voltage set at 1 currently, factory setting is 0.1. The manual said that the range for the braking voltage PD031 is between 0-20 and to slowly work your way up, do I just need to keep working my way up until my decel wont trip the VFD (mind you I'm not just cranking the knob over) or is there something else I am missing? An additional setting or additional wiring I missed? One of my buddies suggested adding a resistor in line with the pot, but I'm just not sure anymore on what exactly to do. I've gotten as far as I can with the manual and would like to not fry my VFD or motor so I am kind of at a stand still now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many HY VFDs have the braking terminals but not the circuitry, typically id it is missing the speed pot/knob on the VFD face plate it is also missing the braking circuitry (i.e. cheaper version). The manuals almost comical in description trying to decipher what they mean.

PD031 is DC braking (injection) voltage which only works for low speed stopping (has no effect on the bus voltage). Only suggestion might be maybe to try to increase the inverter track time up, PD034 to say 2 or 3 seconds. Often with the speed pot if too rapidly turned down the VFD try to instantly correct. Only other suggestion would be to try PD026 to 1 which is coast to a stop, i.e. no braking. I do not work with these VFDs, too many problems and limitations. I know they are appealing price wise, but they are very limited feature and function wise. The Teco L510 is a reasonable alternative but does not support an external braking resistor which can be a significant limitation for faster stops.

As far as the speed pot, you can change the range that the pot will function over so you could put a resistor in the AGM (0V) lead and connect that to the pot to act as a voltage divider. Seems like at least in the manual I have they spec. a 10K speed pot (which is quite high), so you could use a 5K speed pot with a 5K 1/4W resistor in the AGM lead which would give a 10K overall resistance and the speed pot range would be 50-100%. You could try to adjust PD072 lower analogue frequency as an alternative. You could use a multi-turn pot, my lathe has a 3 turn, the mill a 10 turn pot.

PD070 Analog input should be 0 range 0-10V
Make sure PD118 is set to 1: Over voltage stall prevention is valid.
just some suggestions.

Last edited:
Back