HUGE NOS Tap Lot (99 PCS)

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Registered

I Just made another Listing for a huge tap lot 99 Pieces total new old stock all unused.

If one of you here on the Forum buys it PM me and I'll add some more large sized taps to the package..... :cool:

99 total

#2-56 BOTTOMING TAPS (24 PCS)

#4-40 SPIRAL POINT TAPS (20 PCS)

1/4-28 BOTTOMING TAPS (24 PCS)

#10-24 FORMING TAPS (11 PCS)

3/8-16 TIAIN PLUG TAPS (8 PCS)

7/16-20 TIAIN PLUG TAPS (12 PCS)

IMG_3343.JPG

Last edited:
If you're considering bidding on these taps take a close look at the GH numbers. Most are GH5, GH6, or GH7. The G in the GH symbol means the thread is ground. The H denotes how much larger the diameter of the tapped hole is in relation to the basic thread on the mating fastener. A tap labeled as H1 will thread a hole to the basic diameter of the fastener plus .0005". Each additional H number add another .0005" to the diameter of the tapped hole.

Most common fasteners are tapped to the H2 or H3 tolerance. That would mean the tapped hole is .001" or .0015" over the basic diameter of the thread on the fastener. H5, H6, and H7 are loose fitting threads from .0025" oversize using an H5 tap to .0035" oversize when using an H7 tap. That's probably the reason these taps (at this point) are going so cheaply.

H1=Basic to Plus .0005
H2=Basic Plus .0005 to Plus .0010
H3=Basic Plus .0010 to Plus .0015
H4=Basic Plus .0015 to Plus .0020
H5=Basic Plus .0020 to Plus .0025
H6=Basic Plus .0025 to Plus .0030
H7=Basic Plus .0030 to Plus .0035

That's probably the reason these taps (at this point) are going so cheaply.

No I am choosing to sell them this cheap because I need money...... I would keep them if I could..... The higher H number taps are made that way for plating.....

Last edited:
I agree that oversize taps are used to compensate for materials being plated. They are also used for ease of assembly in situations where strength isn't a factor. I was pointing out the GH numbers because the taps are oversize for normal non-plating situations. I'm not sure how many members are aware of the difference in tap sizes, and would be surprised if anyone on this board would be doing any plating

Having a threaded hole oversized by .005 really isn't a big deal unless you are building parts for the aerospace industry....... For the work that most of us on this site do we won't even notice a difference between a H3 and H8 tapped hole......

Last edited:
I just learned about that right now. I don't think it was a dig CB....

Back