Huh...

At least the back half of the tap is still good ! You can now make a pointer or small boring bar out of it ! ( look at the positives ) ;)

Tap broke off right at the last thread. The other half is just a straight shank.

I don't remember the grade... It was blue and red.... Lol

The lube was the green goopy stuff.

I drilled the hole 17/32" so, slightly oversized for a 5/16-18.

Tap broke off right at the last thread. The other half is just a straight shank.

I don't remember the grade... It was blue and red.... Lol

The lube was the green goopy stuff.

I drilled the hole 17/32" so, slightly oversized for a 5/16-18.
Next time try TapMagic instead of the green goopy stuff, and 303 stainless is a free machining grade that takes a lot of frustration away from working stainless; I used it extensively in my product line of winemaking tools in place of 304 with never a problem.

It was 304. I emailed metals plus to ask what red and blue was since I couldn’t remember.
I grabbed it in place of drill rod for an indicator stand. They didn’t have drill rod on the shelves and I didn’t feel like paying for a cut.
I got it all finished tho. Also had to make a slitting saw arbor. Not pleased with the turn out of that. Has some run out I’d like to eliminate. So, when I have some more time I’ll take a bit more off the shoulder and do the final pass in the mill.

"Not quite the hotdog down a hallway" LOL. I know I have heard that before, but it is still VERY descriptive! Much similarity to my last attempt at creating a precision hole using an adjustable reamer!

I’ve had ONE experience with adjustable reamers. Bought a set from busy bee tools, adjusted it to the size (no easy feat...) promptly broke it off in the hole, immediately brought them back, never looked back.... juuuuuuunk.

Maybe a quality kit would have been good, but I’ll stick with normal reamers,

Looks like enough sticking out for a vise grip bite.

Back