• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Hurricane Harvey

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Please pray for us members down here in South Texas as Harvey has its mouth wide open to take us in. The eye of the storm will pass within 30 of my place and I'm on the bad side of the storm. The front of my shop will be taking the brunt of the storm, two 9 x 7 garage doors! The odd's are not good!!!

Ken

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
I am praying for you guys. My BIL and SIL went down to Houston today to bury her dad , I don't think they'll make it out of there for at least a week, as it's probably all going to get closed down. I think if you get the total rain fall predicted that you better find high ground. Don't worry about your tools, just get to a safe location. I can't imagine that much water coming down and not being a disaster.
Good luck, disconnect your electrical cords, at least you would have a fighting chance at a rebuild. I realize you can't move the big machines easily, but you can take other valuables and get them as high as possible.
If you could get a tarp under your equip, you could seal it up from water by getting it under and bringing it up to the top of the machine.. then tie it off, it may keep the water out if you are careful enough not to rip the tarp.

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Prayers sent, Ken. Hurricanes are not fun so be safe!

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
I am praying for you guys. My BIL and SIL went down to Houston today to bury her dad , I don't think they'll make it out of there for at least a week, as it's probably all going to get closed down. I think if you get the total rain fall predicted that you better find high ground. Don't worry about your tools, just get to a safe location. I can't imagine that much water coming down and not being a disaster.
Good luck, disconnect your electrical cords, at least you would have a fighting chance at a rebuild. I realize you can't move the big machines easily, but you can take other valuables and get them as high as possible.
If you could get a tarp under your equip, you could seal it up from water by getting it under and bringing it up to the top of the machine.. then tie it off, it may keep the water out if you are careful enough not to rip the tarp.
Really, haven't had a chance to prepare for this. Just got out of the hospital. I had to rely on my son to board up the windows and bunker down things. As for my tools, they are reasonable safe, machines too. I don't keep any power on the machines, either unplugged or off at the breaker. Of course, first thing that happens in a hurricane is you loose power. As for water getting to anything, it will be minimum, unless I loose a garage door. As for flood water, we won't get any, lots and lots of water. Runoff is good.

Keep the prayers coming and don't forget about member Sandia, he's in the edge of this too.

Ken

francist

Active User
I do hope you and your kin stay safe Ken.

-frank

chips&more

Active User
Prayers sent. I’m in earth quake country. People say that they would rather be in a hurricane than an earth quake. Well, I’m NOT one of those people. Been through 60+ years of earth quakes. And from what I have seen a hurricane is way more devastating. You can see a hurricane coming, is about the only advantage. Mother Nature can be cruel. Please be safe…Dave

bss1

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Hang in there Ken. Hopefully it will keep on moving and blow through. Safety first, belongings come second. Make sure you stay inside when the worst comes through. I have family in Victoria and Rockport. As a matter of fact I pulled an all nighter down in Rockport last night helping friends and family prepare. We pulled out at 4:00 AM as the first feeder bands were rolling in. I thought of you as I was passing through Victoria on the way back to Houston.

I only had a boat I have kept down there for years but had to had to leave it behind. Only so much you can carry. Others like yourself have so much more at risk. I Still have some friends that stayed... Will likely be back to,help pick up the pieces afterwards.

Prayers sent, be safe.

Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kvt

Active User
Ken, will keep you in our prayers. Bad to hear that you just got out of Hospital also, This is not what you needed in order to recover. I had thought about you and was wander how you were doing to prepare. Hope you stay dry all we have here is the offshoot of the wind for now. I know all along the coast it is getting bad. So please take care as you are not that far inland.

Ken

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Thanks guys.

I know of one other member that hangs out here once in a while that lives out on Padre Island next to Corpus Christi. He just sent me a nice gift for trade for some machine work I did for him a while back. Really feel bad for him, I hope he is doing okay too.
I'll stay tuned in as long as we have electricity or my son cuts me off his hotspot!

Ken

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Ken, I thought about you and our many Texas members too when I heard the news tonight.

From wikipedia:
The origin of Texas's name is from the word "Tejas," which means "friends" in the Caddo language.

May all our "Tejas" in the Lone Star State be safe.

-brino

kvt

Active User
Did not know we had anyone down on Padre, I know that place is getting hammered. I hope he packed up and got out, Will have to see about getting in touch with him as Wife takes me down there once to twice a year. Supposed to be down there end of Oct, First of Nov.
Again take care Ken .

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Ken, not sure why you are more worried about your garage doors, but your area is supposed to be ground zero according to the weather info I am seeing. And they are saying the risk is not wind, but water, that you will receive so much water it won't have anywhere to go. So please take any measures to minimize the loss. And take care of yourselves.

My Bil and SIL went for no reason, the funeral has been postponed. Not sure whether the church or cemetery called it off.

kd4gij

Active User
Prayers for all of the east cost Texas members. Try and stay safe out there.

Bamban

Active User
Ken,

If you were forced to evacuate, the Rongero Inn in Austin has rooms available for you and the family.

nez

jpfabricator

Active User
Prayers for all of the coastal Texans.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

kvt

Active User
Just looked at the radar, and the storm is just west of 4GSR right now . Hope and pray everything is ok, we have not heard from him since his post just before 7pm yesterday.
hope that all along the coast are ok.

Eddyde

Staff member
Pryers and thoughts sent, hope you make it through unscathed.

kvt

Active User
Just got off the phone with 4gsr, His place was almost in the direct path of it. They were pretty much forced out, and are up out of harms way at this time. No internet, but has spotty cell service but cannot get into HM. He and his family are ok, just do not know what his place looks like and will prob not be able to get back there until sometime next week.

brino

Active User
@kvt, thanks for the update!

mikey

Active User
Thinking of you, Ken, and hope you and your family are safe.

kvt

Active User
NO it is spread out and moved north. Still all we have gotten is a lot of wind and a little rain. Even places north of us have gotten all kinds rain. We needed the rain but did not get much. But Houston got more than needed.

[6]
[5] [7]