Hurricane Harvey

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
Please pray for us members down here in South Texas as Harvey has its mouth wide open to take us in. The eye of the storm will pass within 30 of my place and I'm on the bad side of the storm. The front of my shop will be taking the brunt of the storm, two 9 x 7 garage doors! The odd's are not good!!!

Ken

I am praying for you guys. My BIL and SIL went down to Houston today to bury her dad , I don't think they'll make it out of there for at least a week, as it's probably all going to get closed down. I think if you get the total rain fall predicted that you better find high ground. Don't worry about your tools, just get to a safe location. I can't imagine that much water coming down and not being a disaster.
Good luck, disconnect your electrical cords, at least you would have a fighting chance at a rebuild. I realize you can't move the big machines easily, but you can take other valuables and get them as high as possible.
If you could get a tarp under your equip, you could seal it up from water by getting it under and bringing it up to the top of the machine.. then tie it off, it may keep the water out if you are careful enough not to rip the tarp.

I am praying for you guys. My BIL and SIL went down to Houston today to bury her dad , I don't think they'll make it out of there for at least a week, as it's probably all going to get closed down. I think if you get the total rain fall predicted that you better find high ground. Don't worry about your tools, just get to a safe location. I can't imagine that much water coming down and not being a disaster.
Good luck, disconnect your electrical cords, at least you would have a fighting chance at a rebuild. I realize you can't move the big machines easily, but you can take other valuables and get them as high as possible.
If you could get a tarp under your equip, you could seal it up from water by getting it under and bringing it up to the top of the machine.. then tie it off, it may keep the water out if you are careful enough not to rip the tarp.
Really, haven't had a chance to prepare for this. Just got out of the hospital. I had to rely on my son to board up the windows and bunker down things. As for my tools, they are reasonable safe, machines too. I don't keep any power on the machines, either unplugged or off at the breaker. Of course, first thing that happens in a hurricane is you loose power. As for water getting to anything, it will be minimum, unless I loose a garage door. As for flood water, we won't get any, lots and lots of water. Runoff is good.

Keep the prayers coming and don't forget about member Sandia, he's in the edge of this too.

Ken

I do hope you and your kin stay safe Ken.

-frank

Prayers sent. I’m in earth quake country. People say that they would rather be in a hurricane than an earth quake. Well, I’m NOT one of those people. Been through 60+ years of earth quakes. And from what I have seen a hurricane is way more devastating. You can see a hurricane coming, is about the only advantage. Mother Nature can be cruel. Please be safe…Dave

Hang in there Ken. Hopefully it will keep on moving and blow through. Safety first, belongings come second. Make sure you stay inside when the worst comes through. I have family in Victoria and Rockport. As a matter of fact I pulled an all nighter down in Rockport last night helping friends and family prepare. We pulled out at 4:00 AM as the first feeder bands were rolling in. I thought of you as I was passing through Victoria on the way back to Houston.

I only had a boat I have kept down there for years but had to had to leave it behind. Only so much you can carry. Others like yourself have so much more at risk. I Still have some friends that stayed... Will likely be back to,help pick up the pieces afterwards.

Prayers sent, be safe.

Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken, will keep you in our prayers. Bad to hear that you just got out of Hospital also, This is not what you needed in order to recover. I had thought about you and was wander how you were doing to prepare. Hope you stay dry all we have here is the offshoot of the wind for now. I know all along the coast it is getting bad. So please take care as you are not that far inland.

Ken

Thanks guys.

I know of one other member that hangs out here once in a while that lives out on Padre Island next to Corpus Christi. He just sent me a nice gift for trade for some machine work I did for him a while back. Really feel bad for him, I hope he is doing okay too.
I'll stay tuned in as long as we have electricity or my son cuts me off his hotspot!

Ken

Ken, I thought about you and our many Texas members too when I heard the news tonight.

From wikipedia:
The origin of Texas's name is from the word "Tejas," which means "friends" in the Caddo language.

May all our "Tejas" in the Lone Star State be safe.

-brino

Back