Husky A1S - 8x30... Just purchased my first mill.

Thanks guys! I won't worry about leveling the mill for now. This will give me time to look for a good deal on a precision level.

I decided to get an R8 arbor for the big drill chuck I purchased and stay with the 1/2" arbor for the smaller chuck. I figure this will give me the best versatility of precision, maximizing the Z-axis and quick change. The arbors are pretty cheap so I am not investing too much to have both options.

I decided on 1/8" parallels to start with.

I appreciate all the help!

Never really thought about leveling the mill.

Leveling a mill is not critical like leveling a lathe. And 'leveling' a lathe is about getting both ends in the same plane, not leveling the machine to earth's core. :)

Regarding a mill, getting it close (grab a carpenters level) is probably fine. What is important on a mill is the relationship of the spindle to the Z-axis and to the table. Perpendicular to the table, parallel to the z-axis.

About the only real advantages to leveling a mill are so things do not roll off the table and for being able to use a level to help with setups. I think it is worth doing...

Mike,

Funny but I actually saw your mill on the trailer heading north bound on hwy 97 back in January. I passed (the seller?) at about the Cooley intersection. I thought to myself that "looks just like my mill". I bought mine last May and it's almost 100% disassembled right now in the middle of a rebuild and overhaul. Mine too is another flavor of the 8x30 mill that sat unused its entire life on the showroom floor of a machinery seller in socal. Coincidentally I'm located in Redmond and setting up a home machine shop as well. Anyway, small world and a local resource. While I have no experience yet running the machine I sure have a lot on disassembling one and the inner workings of it. Glad to see you getting set up yourself.
IMG_4593.JPG
IMG_5551.JPG
IMG_5552.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Radials,

Wow, you are going to have a real beauty when you get her back together! Very nice paint job! I hope you will post a lot of pictures as you reassemble your mill?

Yep, I would guess that would have had to been my mill on the sellers flat bed trailer you saw cruising down 97.

I have only been posting here for a month or so but feel comfortable enough to greet you with a harty "Welcome"! This forum has been the friendliest forum I have found on the internet, some really good guys. Unfortunately this forum has really thrown a wrench in my milling plans! A week after I bought my mill someone on this forum posted a link to a craigslist ad with three too good to be true lathes over in Portland... and I ended up buying one of them. It took a fair bit just getting the lathe unloaded and now my shop is in complete chaos.

If you need a reference for how something on your mill goes back together IM me and I will be happy to let you take a look at mine for a reference if you need to. The only concern I have on my mill is the Y axis has a bit more backlash than I would like. I would be very interested in any pictures of how the Y axis ACME screw and nut go together and if there is any mechanism for tightening the backlash?

I am a complete novice when it comes to a mill but am looking forwards to learning. I noticed COCC has a pretty interesting machining program. Seperate classes on manual lathes, manual mills, CNC mills... etc. What peaked my interest is it is a self paced program so there is no set class time, you just go to their shop when your schedule allows to work on the assignments and I think they have knowlegable instructors there to help you through any questions you may have. I am really considering giving one of the classes a try.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike! I too am relatively new to the site & especially to the machining hobby. Having an instructor with a self paced class would be fantastic! Of course I attend the UTube University of Machining with most excellent instructors (Keith Fenner, Keith Rucker, Adam Booth, Tom Lipton et al), but I really don't see asking them some of the questions I have. Oh well, all are great for ideas, problem solving etc. Looking forward to your updates!

Mike,

Thank you, I believe I'll post a rebuild thread just on the rebuild process and some of the note worthy points along the way. I was going to wait until the end, but may start that sooner now that I have found this site. Seems like a great resource and machining community.

I"m glad you scored a lathe as well. I too have a lathe that I picked up 4 months ago that I thought would be a quick clean and lube job that I could sneak in during the mill rebuild. That turned into a full over haul as well! Unfortunately I need both machines to complete the rebuild of the machines. Lol. Anyway... what did you end up getting?

I included a pic of what the Y axis acme nut looks like on the saddle. There is a shcs to adjust the backlash on the screw. I'm not sure if the nut is orientated correctly in the picture I posted as I just sat it there for the photo. Maybe you can tell me which direction the cap screw points. You probably would have to raise the knee all the way up and will have access to it from up inside of it. I have been taking measurements on the parts I know I'll either want to remake or have as a reference if ever needed it, and these nuts are on the list. A riser block for the head is in my plans too, so being able to measure up the machine with it already taken apart is helpful. The X axis nut is the same principle but has two shcs instead of just the one on the Y axis.

I am familiar with the COCC program. I actually went through their CNC program in 2016 which included a fair amount of manual machining. I enjoyed it and there are good instructors there with nice equipment. In the fall of last year I went back to take a welding class to help out more at work. The self pace is helpful. There are times when you might have the whole shop to yourself. Being able to drop in after work to get several hours of shop time in did make it easier to fit into my schedule as well. I recommend talking to them to see what option is best for what you're looking to get out of it.

BROCKWOOD: Big fan of UTube university as well. Like you said, so many good instructors there.

-Nick
Saddle.jpg

Radials, like your color choice it’s the same as mine. I don’t want to jac the op’s thread just to say if you post a thread I’ll put it on the watch list. I’ll be taking my spindle apart for bearing replacement soon and variable speed drive. Here is a part breakdown if you don’t have one.

Attachments

• 100-5100.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 295
Please feel free to post about your mill on this thread if you would like to! I had a hard time finding any information on the 8 x 30's when I was looking to buy. Any pictures or information on 8 x 30 or even 6 x 24's would be great to have.

Nick, thank you for the picture! My mill is shoved in the corner while I am rearranging my shop. I will do my best to get to the nut and get you an answer. Is it holding up your reassemble currently?

I’m pretty sure the cap screw is toward the operator on the y nut. I’ll be home within the hour and take a look for sure.

Back