HV or just Horizontal Rotary table

Headrc

Registered
Registered
I think my next purchase is going to be a rotary table, probably an 8" for my mill/drill. My question is for those of you who have a rotary table ...how often do you use it in the vertical position? There seem to be some choices that are just horizontal and you save some $$ for going with that. Especially if buy high quality used. Thanks Richard

Third vote for a HV model. Then look for a tail stock down the road for doing work between centers, like gears and such.

Thanks ....is there a big draw back to just using an angle plate when the need is for vertical? As suggested on another thread it seems some favor this ...because the angle plate can then be used for other needs.

An angle plate and a rotary table can do similar things, but many operations are better suited to one over the other. With a chuck the rotary is an awesome tool for the mill.

Thanks. Anybody want to give an estimate of how often you use an HV table in the vertical position?

I've been approximately 50/50. Maybe 60/40 in favor of horizontal. I do a couple things that require the vertical though

Thanks ....is there a big draw back to just using an angle plate when the need is for vertical?
Also, setup time. I have the center height of my RT in the vertical position written down. It has provision for mounting it automatically inline with a table slot, which will match the tail stock and/or mounted chuck center. I can have it set up for mounting the work in 5 minutes. Using an angle plate with the RT mounted to it will take a LOT longer to get it all set up and centered with the spindle. The mounting will probably be less rigid, and much more likely to slip under load.

Back