HV or just Horizontal Rotary table

Rather than set up my big 12" rotary table for horizontal work, I have a spin indexer that is infinitely easier to set up and use. It's designed for 5C collets in a horizontal position so work holding is fairly automatic. This is fine for making hex heads, flutes, etc.

I've only used mine in vertical position. maybe one day I'll use it horizontal. It depends on the work YOU do...

Also, setup time. I have the center height of my RT in the vertical position written down. It has provision for mounting it automatically inline with a table slot, which will match the tail stock and/or mounted chuck center.
Couldn't this All be addressed when setting up the Angle plate with the RT correctly the first time in a way that would be very easy at getting you lined up quickly from that point on?

I can have it set up for mounting the work in 5 minutes. Using an angle plate with the RT mounted to it will take a LOT longer to get it all set up and centered with the spindle.

Assuming I set my Angle plate up with the neccessary addition (i.e. mounting bolt holes, locating pin etc...) that lines up with the tailstock what does difference is there in centering the spindle compared with any other setup mounted to a table of a machine that generally allows the material to be adjustable to the spindle on 3 different axis planes?

The mounting will probably be less rigid, and much more likely to slip under load.
Here I will agree is possible but that doesn't mean it's an Absolute and could be negated by using a supported angle plate that is stout enough to handle the forces you are asking of it and by making sure it is securely clamped to the table.

Couldn't this All be addressed when setting up the Angle plate with the RT correctly the first time in a way that would be very easy at getting you lined up quickly from that point on?

Assuming I set my Angle plate up with the neccessary addition (i.e. mounting bolt holes, locating pin etc...) that lines up with the tailstock what does difference is there in centering the spindle compared with any other setup mounted to a table of a machine that generally allows the material to be adjustable to the spindle on 3 different axis planes?

Here I will agree is possible but that doesn't mean it's an Absolute and could be negated by using a supported angle plate that is stout enough to handle the forces you are asking of it and by making sure it is securely clamped to the table.
Anything might be possible. Buy the horizontal RT and the angle plate, and see if the holes and slots line up, or if they can be adapted to work together. The specific measurements you need will not likely be provided by the seller. Where there is a will, there is often a way, just make sure it is worth your effort.

I can't remember ever using the rotary table in the vertical position, but I do have an indexing head.

Greg

Buy an H/V.
Or buy a H and an angle plate of questionable squareness and hone juggling skills while connecting them.
Then lift onto your table.
Before disassembly drill and dowel the set-up for next time.

Those who don't use one vertically have indexers; fine for spacing hole patterns not so much for contour milling. If you are like the bulk of home shop engineers, a rotary table does both mill AND orient any degrees/ minutes/ seconds increments. An indexer only re-positions faster with positive stops.
But a lot of rotary tables can be had with indexing plates too. . .

My current lathe/mill combo is smallish, so I bought a H/V with index plates to cover small parts. Tool size & what parts can be made are very limited. But my 1st real machine is a large VN mill. I have an adjustable dividing head that will get any angle from H to V. Gotta size your decision based on available working area (including parts you intend to make / shape & their sizes) then add a 10% or more upsize to fit unforeseen projects. Once you zoom in on what might fit those criteria, you can jump at whatever find comes your way in your price range.

Back