Hydraulic surface grinder owners, do you have a table feed stop?

Flynth

Registered
Registered
As in the subject. I'm looking for any hydraulic powered surface grinder models that are equipped with a table stop/clamp on the X(long) axis.

I have a machine like that without the stop and I'm looking for inspiration how to add one.

We have 2 hyd. grinders at work A Harig and a Boyer Schultz, both have adjustable stops.

Can you describe how the stops work? Perhaps there are some drawings in the manual you could post? Alternatively, what exact models are they? I might be able to find manuals for them.

Edit: But wait, let's just make sure we're talking about the same thing. You said "adjustable stops". Do you mean end of travel stops? That's not what I mean.(every hydraulic grinder has these).

I mean a stop to prevent any lengthwise movement of the table at all. A table lock is perhaps a better word for it.

I have a B&S Micromaster 618. It has blocks/stops that reverse the hydraulic circuit but no way of mechanically limiting travel or fixing the motion in one spot.

I’ve considered adding such a system as it would be useful for certain operations (sharpening mostly).

I have a B&S Micromaster 618. It has blocks/stops that reverse the hydraulic circuit but no way of mechanically limiting travel or fixing the motion in one spot.

I’ve considered adding such a system as it would be useful for certain operations (sharpening mostly).

That is the same with my grinder, but I have no clue what would be the best way to add it so I'm looking for examples of similar machines that already have it.

My TOS is 3 axis hydraulic, it just uses the flippers (there is no mechanical stops on any of the axis). My full manual Ingar has an arrangement to lock the long axis (sort of a block arrangement) and a locking screw into the gib to lock the cross axis.

My TOS is 3 axis hydraulic, it just uses the flippers (there is no mechanical stops on any of the axis). My full manual Ingar has an arrangement to lock the long axis (sort of a block arrangement) and a locking screw into the gib to lock the cross axis.
Manual are a bit irrelevant here... As hydraulic machines(at least mine) have no gibs.

I'm just t sure how such linear ways are called. I know there are two types. One uses balls, the other slides on oil. Mine is the one that slides on oil.

My TOS is also the type which slides on oil - double V ways (in both the long and cross directions). I don’t know your machine. On the TOS it would be easy to add a stop block in the same slot as the adjustable trip dogs, the challenge would be to add an anchor point on the table.

On the TOS the rod for the hydraulic cylinder is easy to access (the ram extends out each end of the cylinder). Perhaps you could make up fitted clamps and lock the ram right at the cap of the cylinder (both ends), so the cylinder is absolutely locked solid? The cylinder force on a surface grinder is not very much (low oil pressure, small cylinder).

Have a look at the way a tool and cutter grinder is set up. I have a Cincinnati #2, there is provision for setting longitudinal table stops (granted it is a manual machine, but provides ideas to copy).

My TOS is also the type which slides on oil - double V ways (in both the long and cross directions). I don’t know your machine. On the TOS it would be easy to add a stop block in the same slot as the adjustable trip dogs, the challenge would be to add an anchor point on the table.

On the TOS the rod for the hydraulic cylinder is easy to access (the ram extends out each end of the cylinder). Perhaps you could make up fitted clamps and lock the ram right at the cap of the cylinder (both ends), so the cylinder is absolutely locked solid? The cylinder force on a surface grinder is not very much (low oil pressure, small cylinder).

Have a look at the way a tool and cutter grinder is set up. I have a Cincinnati #2, there is provision for setting longitudinal table stops (granted it is a manual machine, but provides ideas to copy).
It sounds very similar to the setup in my grinder. I'll check the machine mentioned.

It is not a trivial problem, because of two things:
- an axis lock in the trip dog channel would lock the table front so forces acting in the back will have more leverage against it (and it requires drilling in front of the channel)
- the hydraulic ram is attached to the table in a non rigid way allowing some up-down and angular movement. This can probably be tightened a bit, but some small movement could be possible with the ram locked still.

These are probably the reasons why the machine has no axis locks in the first place. How to properly clamp a table that slides on an inverted V and a flat gib-less slide way? A compromise will have to be made.

In my machine the the trip dog channel doesn't go the entire length of the table. On one side it almost does. On the other it stops 10in short. In the middle of this 10in long channel less section there are two threaded holes (visible from the bottom of the table). I'm thinking of using them to hold a block shaped piece of steel to the table and it's right surface to the casting beneath. This too would have leverage act against it, but I can't see any other way.

Back