Hypothetically, but seriously, Clausing 4912 or Logan 10 840?

Humph, well since you put it like that, it seems there's really isn't much of a choice to be made is there, ha. It's kind of funny though, but I think that my biggest hang-up with the stinkin' Clausing is the way the machine looks...my shop is a joyous space that is setup primarily to try and turn some passions into profits, or at least enough to cover the rent and justify keeping the space anyway, and is subsequently full of old (oddly enough almost unanimously American stuff from the1930's-50's) beautiful machinery that's all been mechanically rehab'd to be reliable and accurate, but not much further than that, and if I can make this Clausing happen it's going to be the fancy new pariah with its square shoulders and stamped steel looking exterior. It's funny how attached some of us can become to the supposedly soulless-by-nature machines and tools we surround ourselves with, but to me anyway, the likelihood of that bond and its strength seems to be inversely proportional to the machine's age/quality with heavy smooth old machines becoming trustworthy revered friends and the tinny throw-a-way tools today their contrary foe....
I understand your point of view: I like the old stuff as well, and my lathe is a Logan 200 which is pretty close to the
machine you posted above. But the Clausing is a better machine, and if you want to make a profit with it, that matters.
I have no experience with Clausings, but I've never heard anyone complain about them being tinny or low quality.

Depending on what you're looking for , I have a 5917 12" Clausing down here that I'll sell . I travel thru Scranton all the time and can throw it on my trailer . And as far as which I would choose , the Clausing hands down , even if it's not mine . This comes from a lifelong machinist .

I’ve got a South Bend 9A WW-II vintage. It’s the long bed with a taper attachment and flat belts. A nice lathe that I like to use. But it’s a much less ridgid machine than my Clausing. I do like having two lathes because its saved my butt a few times. Especially when I need to repair something on one of them. And even though the Clausing is only 24” between centers while the SB is 36” between centers…. The Clausing is so far superior. If I had a 36” Clausing , I probably would think about moving the SB into storage because space is at a premium in my workshop.

Humph, well since you put it like that, it seems there's really isn't much of a choice to be made is there, ha. It's kind of funny though, but I think that my biggest hang-up with the stinkin' Clausing is the way the machine looks...my shop is a joyous space that is setup primarily to try and turn some passions into profits, or at least enough to cover the rent and justify keeping the space anyway, and is subsequently full of old (oddly enough almost unanimously American stuff from the1930's-50's) beautiful machinery that's all been mechanically rehab'd to be reliable and accurate, but not much further than that, and if I can make this Clausing happen it's going to be the fancy new pariah with its square shoulders and stamped steel looking exterior. It's funny how attached some of us can become to the supposedly soulless-by-nature machines and tools we surround ourselves with, but to me anyway, the likelihood of that bond and its strength seems to be inversely proportional to the machine's age/quality with heavy smooth old machines becoming trustworthy revered friends and the tinny throw-a-way tools today their contrary foe....
I would likely take the Clausing. If for no other reason than it is a gear head.
But I do get the aesthetics deal.
Modern, strictly utilitarian machines just don't have the innate beauty of the old stuff when that which met the eye was crafted to be more than just practical.
I recently purchased a Monarch 12CK.
It is was lovingly formed and sculpted by an artist's hand. It is art.
The handles, hand wheels and knobs alone weigh more than many modern lathes do.
When I see it I think of a pretty, buxom girl that I'd like to take for a romp.

Attachments

• 0435aa36-194c-48c6-a7b0-acde016b1100-1.jpg
    0435aa36-194c-48c6-a7b0-acde016b1100-1.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 634f09235818f9d7a0344f3f194e8dfe.jpg
    634f09235818f9d7a0344f3f194e8dfe.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 24
Well, just as an update, I got them both. Ha. The clausing is the machine to have and grow into undoubtedly, but the Logan is in top shape, with a vfd, decent qctp and tons of holders, tools for days, 2 chucks, etc and priced as if by a scrap yard by weight so it only made sense to make it a two-fer kind of day. Anyhow, I can't thank you all enough. I am beyond grateful for your time and wisdom and patience, and your alacrity to altruism, so thank you again...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That's good news.
Congrats!
That is how I got my lathe - on a two fer.
Kept the one I wanted and sold the other.
Made my out of pocket pretty low.
Would have loved to keep them both but space constraints made that impractical.
Maybe you could keep them both?

Haha that's certainly an option, but I sold a really great Stark no. 4 a little prematurely to pick up this other mill and I'm regretting that choice so ideally hopefully I can find another Stark no 4 or maybe by some miracle a 4 1/2 as an alternative little fun show piece, but how remarkable is this little Barker? The guy bought it new in 1953 and has all of the original everything and apparently treasured and cherished it every day since...
6f954df41c5c4f53aca5302bdcae64f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back