I am a blundering idiot

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
This is a beautiful nos Brown and Sharp indicator that was on ebay.
Never been used, and still had the protective sleeve on the stem. I spent the last 4 days closely watching it. This morning the auction was drawing to a close and the high bid was only $37. I was prepared to pay a lot for this. I entered my max bid and waited for 30 seconds left to submit it. I pressed the button and it said that the screen timed out and to press refresh. The auction ended and the guage sold for $41. It ruined my morning.

D*mn that was gorgeous!
If someone else isn't using a 'snipe' script you can enter your amount and then submit at T- 15 secs or so.
Just reload before you start. And don't use Windows/MS's browser. Use Firefox or Chrome.
I've been doing it since '98 and have had really good results.

Thanks for the tips guys. I can handle being out bid or losing to bad timing or whatever, but I totaly screwed this up myself.

There is an auction house here that occasionally has machinist items for sale. The bid process lets you place a bid, and, regardless of how high the bid, it only moves the bidding up the minimum bid increase amount, $1 for items under $100. So, if the current high bid is $27, and I bid $40, the current high bid then becomes $28. And my $40 bid stays the high bid until someone bids at least $41, when they take over as high bidder. I like this system. You do not need to guess high. You can put in your high offer at any time, and you will automatically be taken out if somebody outbids you. Sniping is still done there, but it is much lower key than some other auctions. The other good thing is that you can decide what it is worth to you, bid it, and that will be the MAXIMUM you will have to pay, and you do not have to be tied into being online at the final gun to play the game. There is still a 10% fee to the auctioneer, but the whole thing is more civilized...

Bob: isn't Ebay like that also? -what they call automatic bidding?
mark

Back