I am a blundering idiot

Kvt, you would be surprised at how many machinist's tools I've found at estate auctions. Even though it seems we live in a 'desert' for such items, they are out there. I bought a Kennedy roller cabinet full of indicators, calipers, micrometers, reamers, end mills, taps, and other tools last year at one such sale for less than I would have thought I'd have to pay for just the tool box. It even included a Machinery's Handbook. Of course, there are 'dud' sales too. I drove 70 miles a few months ago for an auction that listed machinist's tools in the flyer. The only 'machinist's tool' there was a Harbor Freight micro-lathe...

Well, where I live is in many ways a machinist desert as well. The big difference between me and many others is that I am not in a huge hurry to get or buy something, and so I simply wait until it comes along at a price I feel good with. I have all the necessities that I really need to make many things, and can also borrow rarely used tooling from friends. Yes, sometimes I will buy something just because it is cool and the price is unbelievably low, and I do not feel stupid for doing that, either. I only do that if I feel that I can sell it for well more than I paid for it, at any time. However, I am also not so much of a "collector", who gotta have at least one of everything, or everything from a certain historical time period or manufacturer. One thread I do NOT watch here on H-M is "What did you buy today?" More like "What did you make without it?" I do not feel that I need to buy stuff just for the joy of buying it, I would rather feel smug because I made it without the special tooling or materials purchase. It seems that many of us want to do a project because it gives us an excuse to buy more new and shiny tools and materials. I start nearly all of my projects from "what can I find around here to make something like that?" If nothing, I usually wait until I find something cheap or free. To me this "sport" is far more about the journey than the bling. There is always something else I can be working on until the right thing comes along.

And then some of us like tools for what they are... tools. I like tools. I don't even necessarily like shiny tools. Just good tools. And making something without the right tool is a PITA.

Bob, problem is some of us live in machinist deserts. Lucky if you can find anything close to a machine tool on craigslist much less in a yard sale.

I agree. I live out in the middle of nowhere. The Twin Cities is 2 hours away. Long drive just to go see "what's out there". Around here, if there is a ball peen hammer on the auction they call it "high quality machinist tools".

Try Esnipe. It will bid automatically at the last minute up to your max amount. That way you can beat out guys who try to do it manually. I find it interesting that when I sell an item, the real bidding takes place in the last 10 seconds of the auction.

And then some of us like tools for what they are... tools. I like tools. I don't even necessarily like shiny tools. Just good tools. And making something without the right tool is a PITA.
I think we actually agree, Neil. I am with you on that. I just want a tool that works. Reading my post again, I was all over the place. But I still do not buy tools at rip off prices.

I think we actually agree, Neil. I am with you on that. I just want a tool that works. Reading my post again, I was all over the place. But I still do not buy tools at rip off prices.
Me too Bob, but it's not easy when all that you have to do is press a button and that tool shows up on your doorstep.
John

The only way to stop people from ripping us off is to simply not buy stuff at unreasonable prices. There is always an alternate course to follow, even if it is simply doing without.

I've had to quit even looking at EBay auction items and filter to only see buy it now. I just get too invested and feel like I've been ripped off when I lose. I used to watch something for a week before it closed and always pass if there was another bid. Then 1min out with no other bids make my max bid only to be sniped by 1c at the last second. Whatever dude, no more.

My have to do list is triaged to several years out so I'm staging projects materials and necessary tools all the time. I still get good deals off eBay on small stuff but locally you just never know what crazy deal will pop up on CL. Then it's always the two little voices in my head warring. One is the voice of reason, the other is the crazy hoarder. This is further complicated by cheap cool restorable projects and rare restored expensive "ooooh I've always wanted one of those" deals. Sometimes I wish I had Bob Korves pragmatic restraint. Right now purposely having no place to put something is my governor.

Today we have many choices . Different dealers , different qualities in tools , up and down prices , Ebay , Facebook , craigslist , yard sales etc . The internet has changed the game . It's simple to purchase what you want these days , it's a world wide market place . Back in the late 70s and thru the 80s , my choices were limited . Myself being a job shop owner , I had the choice between MSC , Borroughs and Walt Chapman's down on Harford Rd . I guarenteed same day or 1 day turn around on jobs . MSC had red label shipping for 7 bucks that guaranteed my tool would be at my door by 9am the next day , or I had to truck it to Walts . The influx of Chinese tools and their suppliers is filling the gap that society has created as tool purchasers .

As a seller of tools these days , Ebay is by far the easiest way to sell items no longer needed . Load the pictures and sit back , either as an Auction or as a Buy it Now format .

I have a place right up the road from me that wants to sell my tooling , and take 50% . Right . I am perfectly able to list it on Ebay myself and save their fee . :rolleyes:

Back