I am back in the shop (and an update)

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
Yesterday was the first day in several months to get back in the shop. It felt great and I am so thankful to many of you for making this possible.

I am finishing up the large dial conversion on my friend's 14 1/2" SB lathe as long as the weather holds. (The heater can't keep up when the temperature is below 20 degrees F). This is basically the same conversion as for the 9" SB lathe but larger. I will post prints when done if anyone is interested in this.

I will be having surgery in the next couple months to remove my Morphine pump. This is my choice, so I can get back in the gym and exercise. I need more strength now that I am restricted to using crutches to get around. I want it done while it is cold outside so it won't interfere with my shop time. I feel better than I have in years, but I just can't walk. I can stand in one spot but will fall when I try to walk. This will get worse and I eventually will be back in a wheelchair, but I've known this was coming for years. It WILL NOT stop me from machining though.

One of my friends is coming up with projects to make this year. Some are very simple tooling that we both need such as a gage to set lathe tool height and a better dial indicator holder for the lathe. I am also planning a follow rest for the lathe.

I am looking forward to a great year (2017 was horrible. I was sick almost the whole year).

Yesterday was the first day in several months to get back in the shop. It felt great and I am so thankful to many of you for making this possible.

I am finishing up the large dial conversion on my friend's 14 1/2" SB lathe as long as the weather holds. (The heater can't keep up when the temperature is below 20 degrees F). This is basically the same conversion as for the 9" SB lathe but larger. I will post prints when done if anyone is interested in this.

I will be having surgery in the next couple months to remove my Morphine pump. This is my choice, so I can get back in the gym and exercise. I need more strength now that I am restricted to using crutches to get around. I want it done while it is cold outside so it won't interfere with my shop time. I feel better than I have in years, but I just can't walk. I can stand in one spot but will fall when I try to walk. This will get worse and I eventually will be back in a wheelchair, but I've known this was coming for years. It WILL NOT stop me from machining though.

One of my friends is coming up with projects to make this year. Some are very simple tooling that we both need such as a gage to set lathe tool height and a better dial indicator holder for the lathe. I am also planning a follow rest for the lathe.

I am looking forward to a great year (2017 was horrible. I was sick almost the whole year).
Good to hear your up and about Mark can't keep a good man down as they say

Thank you all for your support. I have a long way to go yet, adjusting to the limited mobility. I am adjusting the shop some to make things easier. Being able to use my machines gives me a sense of Independence and satisfaction. I am looking forward to a great year.

My friend that's the best news I've heard in a long long time . I hope it works out well. I'm stuck in bed now I was at least happy being in the wheelchair and working in my shop , but pain is a real killer over even my willpower. God bless buddy get therapy going on your abdominals and core and the legs will follow. Keep working the muscles , plenty of vitamins b and d , testosterone too.

Back