Resolved I am getting a message that the photographs I'm uploading are to large for server. They are the same size i have always uploaded. Something new?

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
I check my photographs they are the same size.
any help is welcome
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to solve this issue. I am not sure what this means: "While I'm waiting for a response from the developers...I've reinstalled the image optimizer. This should compress your files without loss of quality in the meantime. Please report problems here if you encounter any worth noting. "
This does not seem to affect my pasting images into a post. How and when does this optimizer function?
Robert

Good question Robert. The optimizer works in two ways: 1) when you upload an image to the H-M server during a post, it compresses the image size and 2) images that haven't been compressed (i.e., they were uploaded in the past) will be compressed by the optimizer in the future on some sort of automated scripting in the software.

The basic idea here is that the software will work behind the scenes to optimize storage space and performance for end users by making the images an appropriate size for the website.

Some people have taken notice that there previously uploaded images have been reduced in size. This is what is happening in point #2 I spelled out above. It is a matter of opinion on whether or not this is considered a degradation of image quality. When you go back and look at your posts in the future, you may notice that your images were reduced in size, but not quality. I would argue that while it is not a degradation in image quality, I do see it as a tradeoff between performance of the website and the preferred oversize images for my aging eyes.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get into the server config file and safely and properly change the limits on file size. If I break the config file, which isn't hard to do, then I break the site. So, please and thank you for everyone's patience.

Upvote 0
Ive had a lot of issues trying to download pics myself .Its wiered i can take apicture in my phone try to download it but cannot .Then if i screen shot that same picture using same phone it will download no problem .So the quickest way i found to uoload pics was screen shot the ones i wanted to download.Ive since joined a couple of face book machining groups this is so much easier can download pics and video at your leasure so easily.So long as the moderators keep the groups on track i think ill lurk around those groups

Yup there are many, many resources out there on the web for Hobby Machinists. One thing I feel is worth pointing out about our membership based site here is that there is far more experience and depth of knowledge that is shared in great detail by members with a ton of engagement about specific topics. And this secure site has all of the benefits of a social media platform without the privacy concerns that you are forced to accept with a social media site.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bryan! Keep us posted. I want to post pics of my new Center Mike!
Robert

Upvote 0
If you are using Win 7 or before, you CAN get the old version of MS Photo Editor to work. They say it won't but I have it running on 3 computers just fine. Haven't tried it on Win 10. Easy to re-size and you can even vary the pixel rate. Of course, I have PhotoShop and other software but Photo Editor is fast, free and easy. Mike.

Upvote 0
Quick and easy method is use Paint. Load the photo, select [resize] where you can resize by pixel or percent. I usually use percent. Save the image as a new image.
If you want or need batch processing I'd recommend a free utility called Easy Thumbnails
Its easy to use and doesn't get in your way.

Upvote 0
All of those solutions only work if you have the pics saved to your computer. I don't routinely do that and I suspect most don't. Is there a way to resize on google Photos? If there is I can't find it.
Robert

Upvote 0
OK time for an update...we have increased the limits on file size attachments which includes photos/images. Please test and report back here if any problems are encountered. While the limit has been increased to 8MB, all photos and images will be optimized (i.e., compressed) over time to maximize performance of the forum.

Upvote 0
It's working! I uploaded a 4 Mb pic without difficulty.
Robert

Upvote 0
Back