I Am Not Making This Up

Just curious? Have you turned on any of your machines yet? Made anything? Have you even made a chip and or spark with any of your machines? Or are you still in the heavy metal collecting mode? Maybe be a machine dealer instead?

Just curious? Have you turned on any of your machines yet? Made anything? Have you even made a chip and or spark with any of your machines? Or are you still in the heavy metal collecting mode? Maybe be a machine dealer instead?
I've taken a welding class, and a lathe class where I did stuff. I also have used my wood lathe and metal bandsaws and grinder. I did not intend to go into dealer mode. With my rheumatoid arthritis, a lot of times I am not feeling great, and can't move heavy stuff by myself and have to find people to help. Hense, I am taking forever making my workshop. However, that's part of why this is MY hobby - I can take as long as I want and have no one to answer to. Also, my 20 yr old daughter moved to Atlanta, and I ended it with the guy I was dating for the last 5 years. My 11 yr old son isn't manly enough or have enough common sense to help, lol. I do have a shop crane, but the things I want to move to organize my shop, like my Bridgeport, require 2 people for safety.
Because I wanted to move things along with making my workshop, I was really serious about not acquiring anymore machines.
Then, this guy contacted me regarding his free machines....
Really, my goal is to make small tools, as well as gears for vintage machines, to sell on ebay. I even have a 2000 degree kiln for hardening/tempering metals.
You will soon see smaller stuff I have for sale listed on this site. I recently bought a vintage Craftsman machinist toolbox for only $20, and it was filled with Starrett stuff, and a whole bunch of calipers that I already had.

You know those people that just always seem to be at the right place at the right time? No? That’s because it’s you. Congrats!

I’m sure that once you decide what you’ll keep, there will be no lack of offers for the other stuff. I’d take a little horizontal mill someday. One of those would probably be right at home in my basement.

Hat's off to you Susan_in_SF. I worked with a lot of guys that didn't have half the drive you have!

Thanks guys. In this thread, I mentioned getting a $20 toolbox loaded with stuff. How useful aRe the calipers and metal ruler squaring thingies? This box was sold by the grandson of and machinist who just wanted to free up his garage space. I don't know how old the box is, but is is in really good condition
20190406_174741.jpg
20190406_174741.jpg20190406_175820.jpg
20190406_174941.jpg
20190406_175015.jpg
20190406_175808.jpg

Here is another toolbox that might be valuable since the only other one I found online had an aftermarket lock on it, and the leather handle was torn up. This toolbox was bartered with a grinder I didn't want. The outer body is wood covered in leather, and the drawers are rusty metal. On the top tray there is a hammer-like item. Do any of you guys know what it is. I like old toolboxes with the owners old tools in them. It's like opening up a time capsule.
20190406_180211.jpg
20190406_180302.jpg20190406_180521.jpg

20190406_180451.jpg
20190406_180403.jpg
I think those keys belong to the toolbox, but the lock seems stuck.
Fyi, I just learned recently the reason why machinist toolboxes had mirrors. It was for the machinist to use should he get any tiny metal swarm in his eyeball. Is was very important to remove the steel bit out asap since the tears' contents would rust the metal super quickly causing infection issues. Who knew it wasn't for makeup, LOL!
Thanks for putting up with my showing off of stuff.
Susan

Hat's off to you Susan_in_SF. I worked with a lot of guys that didn't have half the drive you have!
Thank you jbobb1. I appreciate your compliment :) However, when you say "drive" do you mean lack of impulse control once it comes to deals? I am at the point where, as "chips&more" labeled it, I am more of a collector than user. I don't want to be a collector, and truly want to cut some metal. I just keep on running into deals. From my experience with visiting old machinists, some of them get a lot of work done with just 1 lathe, 1 mill drill, a few grinders, and a horizontal bandsaw. I am a newbie with a Bridgeport. I need to attend tool hoarding rehab, lol.

I use a metal ruler squaring thing is often, but I don’t use dividers(which I think you’re calling calipers) very often. How useful? Hmm...1 being essential and 10 being not at all, I’d give the combination square a 7 and the dividers a 3.

I use a metal ruler squaring thing is often, but I don’t use dividers(which I think you’re calling calipers) very often. How useful? Hmm...1 being essential and 10 being not at all, I’d give the combination square a 7 and the dividers a 3.
Thank you jwmay for your useful input. From looking at the prices on ebay for most vintage 4 pieces combination squares, I would have thought they were really useful. Perhaps this is just your experience. Hopefully other folks will chip in their opinion. I think this toolbox had 4 sets of those combo squares. I may just keep one, or keep a big set and a little set, but not sure if that is necessary.
Susan

The inside and outside calipers have been replaced with digital calipers, they are pretty well no longer needed. Dividers have two straight points, used for "dividing" circles (and other figures) into geometric shapes, projects now done with AutoCad and its' knockoffs.

Back