[Newbie] I Beam in the shop.

Who doesn't like a good old fashioned "test" of the math! I'll see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be fine Derek. Thats 30 thousandths deflection.
I didn't add the load of the beam itself, it requires a separate calculation for the distributed load it creates. On a short beam like this its usually pretty small.
I'd be really interested to see an actual test. I've spec'd a few beams like this and never checked them under load.
Greg

Use your noga arm and dial test indicator nailed to a rafter and check the deflection :grin:

Howdy there, another new guy here Dan from Western Canada would like to say Hello to everyone and maybe get some info from people much more experienced than I. Interested in mini machining for a long time but had to work for a bunch of years, now retired and bought a little Sherline 4000 lathe and have acquired a milling attachment and various other goodies for it..I have been woodworking for years but now get to play with something different. Primarily interested in model steam and have built a couple, little wobbler of course and a little vertical open column launch engine both of which look ok and actually run pretty well much to my surprise..
Now to the point of all this I wanted something a little more challenging and decided on Elmers Slider, chapter 6. I've made a start on the thing but am having trouble visualizing how the cylinder and valve chest look and are built. Pictures I have are pretty poor quality and I need more experience to visualize these things from the drawings some of which are also poor reproductions. I'm sure there have been lots of these things built and am hoping someone could send some better pictures and build tips...
Thanks in advance and looking forward to any response..Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howdy there, another new guy here Dan from Western Canada would like to say Hello to everyone and maybe get some info from people much more experienced than I. Interested in mini machining for a long time but had to work for a bunch of years, now retired and bought a little Sherline 4000 lathe and have acquired a milling attachment and various other goodies for it..I have been woodworking for years but now get to play with something different. Primarily interested in model steam and have built a couple, little wobbler of course and a little vertical open column launch engine both of which look ok and actually run pretty well much to my surprise..
Now to the point of all this I wanted something a little more challenging and decided on Elmers Slider, chapter 6. I've made a start on the thing but am having trouble visualizing how the cylinder and valve chest look and are built. Pictures I have are pretty poor quality and I need more experience to visualize these things from the drawings some of which are also poor reproductions. I'm sure there have been lots of these things built and am hoping someone could send some better pictures and build tips...
Thanks in advance and looking forward to any response..Dan

Dan, you probably want to make a new thread with your request, as it is, well, completely off-topic w.r.t. the current thread.

Thanks, where to post then? Don't know my way around this thing or the procedures just followed the link for answers...

Hello Dan. To start a new thread, first select the forum you wish to put it in. Scroll to the top of your screen and click on 'Forums'
Next, scroll down the list and choose the appropriate forum for your question. Since it relates to a model steam engine, I would click on "Stationary and Live Steam Engines". Here is a link to that page: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/stationary-live-steam-engines.108/
Once you are in that forum, there is a button on the right side, just down from the top of the page "Post new thread"
Click on that button and fill in the blanks.

If you have any trouble, let me know through a private message, or 'conversation' as they are called in this software. Click on the "Contact" button under my photo over at the left side of this screen. Fill out the boxes and start the conversation and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Back