I bet this will present some machining opportunities!

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
crawler1.jpg

crawler4.jpg

I've always wanted a dozer to play with. Makes absolutely NO sense financially as I could hire out everything I want done around here for about 1/2 what I paid for this thing, not to mention the parts and labor to get it back in form.

Only known issue is a bad bearing in the trans. Getting at it to replace it is a non-trivial exercise involving removing the tracks, final drives and clutch packs. Part itself should be commonly available and reasonable. I also notice the idler on the left track is pretty floppy, hoping that's just bearing(s) and/or the shaft. I do have the missing tin and it's very straight for something that gets abused as much as a dozer does.

Guy I got it from assures me that the engine will run with a tuneup and I've known him long enough to believe that.

Something to keep me out of the bars this winter...

I don't know the slightest thing about dozers, but that one sure is cute! :encourage: I bet it'd clean up really nice....

-frank

I've been trying to talk my better half into letting me buy a dozer for years too! Same logic applie(s/d) - rent one she says!! lol

What a great find. About 20 years ago I wanted to either build or rebuild a small crawler tractor. Everyone I talked to told me I was nuts (which I already knew), but that didn't stop me. Rather than build a tracked machine I did get talked into building an articulated wheeled machine. It now has a 7cu.ft. bucket, forks, a log splitter, and front blade.

As it turned out it took more time to build it than I have spent using it. I would guess I had in the neighborhood of 1,500 hrs. in drawing up the prints, sourcing the materials, and the actual build time. I now have about 250 hours on the clock. Most of it has been spent plowing snow, and removing tree stumps. The one time last winter when I did want to use it I couldn't get it started. 2 months later it started and has started and run fine ever since.

I'd still love to find one like yours. The trouble is I have no place to put it, and no work for it once it's finished.

Too bad you are not close to me, I have a project that would give you a lot of fun play time once you get it running good.

UPS guy stopped by today while grandson and I were unloading it.

I told him he was looking at an opportunity to deliver some REALLY heavy packages.

He asked what I was going to do with it, and I told him "fix it up and putter around with it here."

He sez "I'm really looking forward to seeing it run. Just remember I only have 2 years until I retire..."

Wisenheimer... :D

Nice Dozer! Good you got all the tin work. I found a set of torches handy with mine, helps get some rusty parts off.
Cheers
Martin

Nice Dozer! Good you got all the tin work. I found a set of torches handy with mine, helps get some rusty parts off.
Cheers
Martin

Yup, the Smoke Wrench has been busy already. Just hooked up a new bottle of acetylene. Guy I got it from loaned me the JD Service Manual, I've been reading up on pulling the drives and trans. Involved, but shouldn't be too difficult as long as the fasteners cooperate.

That looks like a great project I'll be looking forward to the build. Im still debating on building a track vehicle for my son. I ran across a build of a guy here in Illinois that built a mini dozer for his boy and has plans to build a dump truck for his other. Dozer looks very similar to yours I can't remember the model he was going for but it was pretty dam cool.

Ooo-oooo, that smell! Can'tcha smell that smell?

Varnished gas, dried up 60 year old grease, 90 wt and sludgy black oil...eau de garage!

Got the pans off, drained the oil outta the engine, pulled the filter canister and drained that, took the air cleaner off.

Somehow or another, a meese got into the air cleaner and drowned in the oil cup on the bottom. Ga-ROSSSSSSSSSS! Dang that stunk.

NAPA had the points, condenser and plugs on the shelf, but had to order the oil filter from the warehouse, it'll be there in the morning. I love me some NAPA, when I did the 1938 Farmall F14 they had pistons, rings, bearings and an overhaul gasket kit overnight.

Try that with the kiddies at Advance Auto sometime...

Back