I bet this will present some machining opportunities!

Something to keep me out of the bars this winter...
And it will do that completely, and utterly without doubt.
Enjoy. When I sold my 1971 F-250 to the young man, I said "you will enjoy "working" on it, as much as "driving" it.
He looked at me kinda funny, and I damn sure laughed. :eek 2:. He has since seen what I meant, and I am offering counsel:grin:

Paul
You may need to up the ante with a bigger hydraulic jack with that master link on the track.lots of progress though. Keep the good work up
Cheers
Martin

Messing with crawlers is definitely mans work! Out here on the left coast I've never even seen a JD crawler, almost all CAT and IH. My grandfather was field mech for IH for 35yrs and bout wore him out. Talk about hard work! He could crush walnuts with his bare hands and he just loved shake hands with guys and watch their eyeballs bulge and their knuckles crack. It's telling he went from being a blacksmith directly to working on cornbinders.

Thanks for the update and I wish you good luck with that knuckle buster.

Last edited:
Well, I beat that son-of-a-gun into submission! Had to reinforce one half of the pin pushing jig so it wouldn't bend, plus I pulled my head out of my...uh..."back pocket" and heated the HEAD of the pin where it keys into the link. Still took a couple of hours of jacking, whacking and heating but both master pins are out and the tracks are off.

Next step is pulling the final drives.

Pix and details at the link above.

It's ALIVE! MUWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wanted to make absolutely sure it would run before I tear into it any further. Good oil pressure, no leaks, I can see coolant circulating in the radiator. Need to rewire it as the insulation on some of the wires is pretty brittle plus there are a few "farmer fixes" (ie...wirenuts and electrical tape :oops: )

Overall, I'm a happy guy!

Sounds great!
Congratulations.
-brino

crawler19.jpg

Unwrapped about a pound of electrical tape from the wiring harness this morning. YIKES! :eek:

Great running little rigs, no engines made today that could run with those wires in that shape. Good project. :encourage:

Back