[Newbie] I bought a Haas Mini Mill basket case

Great project! you've got a nice machine for cheap + sweat equity! nice!

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2005 Mini Mill. It has had all the controls stripped from it. The mechanical condition looks good.

My intended use is as a hobby mill making gun and airgun one-off parts, so speed is not a concern. It has the axis and spindle motors intact, but no electrical controls for them. I had planned to do a very simple Centroid Acorn conversion and use stepper motors on the axis, and a 3 hp induction motor on the spindle. Then sell off the stock motors. But, if there are non-Haas drives that can drive them, I might just reuse the stock motors.

So, does anyone know if the spindle can be driven using a common VFD?

Also, are there any commonly available servo drives that could work with my stock axis motors and use step and direction signals from the Acorn control?

Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
How did this work out for you?

I like the big linear supply with the toroid transformer- is that for the steppers?

It has been great! No drama at all. I works, and does exactly what I ask it to do. I'm really happy with the choices I made. Yes the toroidal transformer is to power the steppers. I wasn't sure if I would be happy with steppers and regret not going to servos. In all honesty, I can't tell any difference. It all just works. I never did anything with the tool changer. I would have to buy a much more expensive VFD that has positioning capability, and it's just not worth it to me.

Back