I bought this Caliper and.........

Capt45

Former Member
I can't find this Mitutoyo Caliper (500-130 6") in any catalog and it needs a battery(I think). How on earth do I get into the tool to replace the battery? I suspect I'll have to remove (4) screws, two on top and two on the bottom. HELP!!
caliper.jpgcaliper2.jpg

I should be under the front cover right above the logo. Should just slide up.

Joe

Nothing no the front or back that slides. This is apparently an older make of Mitutoyo Caliper. I can't even find a pic on the interweb that looks like it. The buttons for on/zero and switching from mm/inch are on the bottom of the body, not on the front.

Is the tag on the back vinyl or metal, if metal, underneath it??

I've never seen that model either until now. I googled it & found pics of them but none of the battery compartment. I did find one person say that you do have to remove the 4 screws to access the battery compartment. 2x SR44 size batteries.

Got the cover off and located the battery compartment; long story short the battery has corroded onto the contact but I was able to use a Q-Tip and remove most of it. Should I use a baking soda solution to try and neutralize the mess or will I make it worse.

Use Iso alcohol on a Q-tip. The battery leakage stuff might just chip off (if it is dry).

I'm not sure about the backing soda solution but I've always used DeoxIT & DeoxIT Gold for situations like that.

Also be sure to use a SR44 type battery which is silver oxide & not LR44 type which is alkaline. SR44 type like the 357 or 303 won't leak like the alkalines & will last much longer too. Well at least they've never leaked for me.

Back