I build these when Im bored

I have an older Ruger Govt. Model, got new around '88 /'89. I've often considered getting a replacement top end and integrally suppressing it. I've made a few Form 1 cans. What actual barrel length do you use for the .22 pistols, and do you use subsonic ammo only or build it so bulk pack stuff is sub?

I’ve got some other pics of more at home of different builds but yeah, I like to keep the barrel length of them under 4 inches typically and that’ll keep most of them subssonic . Especially the cheap bulk stuff, although I generally like to use the CCI 45 grain Quiet they’re really nice rounds

I’ve got some other pics of more at home of different builds but yeah, I like to keep the barrel length of them under 4 inches typically and that’ll keep most of them subssonic . Especially the cheap bulk stuff, although I generally like to use the CCI 45 grain Quiet they’re really nice rounds
Very nice. I was thinking of doing a simple drilled monocore. Have you tested many various baffles? Looks like from the pics you use cones.

Perusing dark corners on the interweb, I happened to stumble across the bits (end caps and tube) for making a D sized threaded "solvent trap".

I used tea-light candle cups for the baffles (the small, thin walled aluminum cups). They fit snugly inside the D sized aluminum tube. The cups were center punched with a 6mm punch and I made a tool for pressing/forming the thin aluminum cups into the D sized tube. In a 8" long tube I fit 12 cups.

Test firing using a range vise and a cable remote trigger, the report from a Walther P22 (my only pistol with a 1/2-28 threaded barrel) firing regular 22LR was definitely quieter. The cups seemed to hold up well through 20 rounds or so. I've since given away that "solvent trap", but if the opportunity presents, I might try another on a .223 with sub-sonic.

Is that Mark III also suppressed? I prefer the Mark 4 because I believe pistols should be easily disassembled and cleaned, but either one would be fantastic in Steel Challenge. I agree that cone baffles are the sure thing, nothing has changed there, just lots of fancy CAD and CNC to juice up the prices.

@imagineer, before this goes down the shady road, know that the alphabet agencies take the NFA seriously. If the NFA isn't complied with, it's an instant felony in most cases. Usually, you have to ruin or end somebody's life to earn a felony conviction in court, but with these types of toys, you can become a convict for your actions even if there is no victim and not a round was fired. For this reason, I ask that when it's NFA item story time, that you say you had a Form 4 tax stamp in hand. It's illegal to even possess an end cap or a baffle without one. Just so we don't attract unwanted attention, if story time isn't above board, it's best to save it for when it can be discussed off the record. But if you did your part to build legally, say so so that nobody gets the wrong idea about the information we share.

BTW, I shared a big stack of collected info on suppressors, sear blueprints, and other Class 3 with forum members recently using my own hosting resources. Some of it had shady roots (ca. 1980s anarchist books, etc.). Nothing wrong with information, but please, when the conversation turns from talk to construction and assembling, explain what legal credentials were used to do it (like an ATF Form 4 with tax stamp). We have to respect that barrier to have the conversation.

End of public service announcement.

Is that Mark III also suppressed? I prefer the Mark 4 because I believe pistols should be easily disassembled and cleaned, but either one would be fantastic in Steel Challenge. I agree that cone baffles are the sure thing, nothing has changed there, just lots of fancy CAD and CNC to juice up the prices.

@imagineer, before this goes down the shady road, know that the alphabet agencies take the NFA seriously. If the NFA isn't complied with, it's an instant felony in most cases. Usually, you have to ruin or end somebody's life to earn a felony conviction in court, but with these types of toys, you can become a convict for your actions even if there is no victim and not a round was fired. For this reason, I ask that when it's NFA item story time, that you say you had a Form 4 tax stamp in hand. It's illegal to even possess an end cap or a baffle without one. Just so we don't attract unwanted attention, if story time isn't above board, it's best to save it for when it can be discussed off the record. But if you did your part to build legally, say so so that nobody gets the wrong idea about the information we share.

BTW, I shared a big stack of collected info on suppressors, sear blueprints, and other Class 3 with forum members recently using my own hosting resources. Some of it had shady roots (ca. 1980s anarchist books, etc.). Nothing wrong with information, but please, when the conversation turns from talk to construction and assembling, explain what legal credentials were used to do it (like an ATF Form 4 with tax stamp). We have to respect that barrier to have the conversation.

End of public service announcement.
The Mark two is also suppressed . I am a licensed manufacturers, so pretty well aware of the NFA stuff. Before I was a licensee though I had built dozens of form 1 NFA regulated items. Do your paperwork and pay your taxes.

Back