[4]

I decided I NEED a milling machine

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Machdaddy

Registered
So I wanted a milling machine, and I thought I wanted a Bridgeport. A Cincinnati Toolmaster showed up on C'list ind I could see from the pics it was a vertical style mill so I decided to broaden my horizons and take a look. Initially I passed because I swallowed the cool-ade and thought it's B'port or nothing. Then I did a little research, messaged the seller back quickly and pulled the trigger. It's paid for and a check has been cut for the rigging co.
Turns out it's a Cincinnati Toolmaster H-V and I'm going f*!*!*!g crazy waiting for delivery. In order to help "cool my jets" I decided to see if the folks on here could tell my anything about it. Sorry about the crappy pictures, it is currently in the corner of a dark garage. If you could tell me what specific head it has I could narrow my research a bit. There is really quite a bit of pubic domain info but it would narrow my searching. Not so much on the H-V model.
Also I believe this is the NMTB 40 toolholder which I understand is a huge plus
Any things I should particularly pay attention to?
Better pics to follow I promise!
Thanks!

Attachments

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
You are going to enjoy that mill. Look at all the gadgets on the backside. Horizontal and vertical all in one.
What tooling did you get with it?
I'm excited for you.

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'd have thought it more likely that the vertical spindle would take a 30 taper and the horizontal a 40 taper; it is a lot more machine than a Bridgeport could ever be, you should be happy to have scored it.

Cadillac

Registered
I hope that isn’t the dro screen on the right of the head. :p Looks like a nice and versatile machine. Try and download a manual. Maybe call the seller and ask for the model numbers or something.
It appears to have a horizontal built into the ram. Awesome. Run it through all the speeds to make sure they work. I would ask for anything he has expecially for that horizontal part. Arbors,cutters,etc. looks like you picked a winner:encourage:

Chipper5783

Active User
Yes very nice. It looks like a 1C, with a 1D head bolted on - a very fine arrangement. The NMTB 40 is a very nice & robust spindle. I have never run a Bridgeport knee mill, but I have used the Cinci 1D a fair amount - it is awesome. Manuals are available off the internet - perhaps in the manuals section here on HM (I can't remember if it is one of the machines I have posted). If they are not I can send them to you. There are a few other Cinci TMs here on HM. So if you have any questions, ask away.

It is good to see that you got the knee crank (I had to make one - it is different than BP and all the others). Did you get the big flat wrench for loosening the spindle tools? I also had to make several replacement pins and knobs for the various small shifters. I'd like to copy your covers over the Reeves belt (those were also missing on mine).

So long as it hasn't been wrecked, you've got a fantastic machine.

Jubil

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I think you will like that mill. It's heavy and rigid. I had one that I bought just to sell for profit. I wish I could have kept it.
I have a couple manuals (digital) if you need them and I can figure how to send them. Anyhow, congrats on new machine
Too many projects, not enough tools (or machines).

Chipper5783

Active User
We are expecting more pictures. Lots more pictures!

The Download section here has the Operator's Manual (uploaded by Nels). I added a 1D sales pamphlet. Look under "Cincinnati (Except Grinders)".

I have a Service Manual and Parts List (Publication No. M-2109) but the file is too large for the server to receive - 57MB. I could try uploading it to my Google drive, but I have not used it in so long that I can't figure out how to access it. Once on the Google drive I believe I could "share" it with you.

Perhaps Jubil can have a go at doing an upload? I'll keep trying to get into my Google drive, but now I have tried too many times and I'm completely locked out for a while.

Let us know how you make out. David

markba633csi

Very nice and unusual- not many of those around I'll bet.. have fun
mark

BROCKWOOD

Nice score!

Janderso

And those pictures............

Machdaddy

Registered
Riggers should be delivering it on Thursday or Friday. I’m going crazy and feel like I’ve done all the research I can.
I WANT IT NOW!!!

Machdaddy

Registered
Finally here! It's bigger and dirtier than I remembered, luckily I thrive on cleaning up old machinery! Speaking of old can anyone tell me what year this is from! Ser.# an the main body is 5531HVD54-0001. On the cover plate for the electronics (which seem to be in excellent cond.) is # 5531HVD5VI. I got those locations reversed.
So anything in particu IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1063.JPG PDNI7317.JPG UDHB4245.JPG lar you would like to see a picture of?

Janderso

That is a great machine!
A vertical and horizontal mill all in one.
Congrats.

Last edited:

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
Great catch! I know you will get a lot out of that machine!

Machdaddy

Registered
I'm having problems with the made in China phase converter which came to me with no instructions. Grrrr. Error code #8

dmittz

Registered
That is a great find, i'm sure that machine will be a lot of fun. Updated us when you get it all cleaned up.

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I'm having problems with the made in China phase converter which came to me with no instructions. Grrrr. Error code #8

Do you have a pic of the converter you can post? If it's the same as mine, I have a book with the error codes etc...

Machdaddy

Registered
Well I decided to go with American Rotary, good reviews and I'm sure it will pay off in the long run in terms of aggrevation alone! In the few moments that it was up and running I noticed that the automatic quill feed doesn't seem to be working though it engages and the handwheel turns, maybe I'm unaware of the secret. Also and maybe related, I can't figure out how the quill lock is supposed to work. The one that's tied into the start switch. Any insights are welcome IMG_1083.JPG

Very nice machine.

I went with an American Rotary as well. I put a safety disconnect switch in between the breaker and the phase converter - the American Rotary will draw power even when it is turned off, and I didn't want to be using the breaker as an on-off switch. If you use a fused disconnect, you also get a measure of surge protection for free. Something to consider.

Chipper5783

Active User
The spindle lock for the vertical spindle only works when the quill is all the way up. On a very tight tool, I even lock the quill travel (located near the bottom of the quill). Did you get the thin profile wrench for loosening spindle tooling? I ended up purchasing a "valve" wrench - it would also be easy to make a wrench for the lower spindle slot.

The quill feed? The quill handle does a side shift to engage / disengage. There is a thumb screw that locks the handle in either position. Loosen the thumb screw and then pull the handle down as you try side shifting - it will come to a location where it clicks in.
Much harder to explain than to do.

Machdaddy

Registered
Thanks for that, Chipper! I think you may have solved both my issues. Proof that within reason it never hurts to ask!

[6]
[5] [7]