I decided I NEED a milling machine

Riggers should be delivering it on Thursday or Friday. I’m going crazy and feel like I’ve done all the research I can.
I WANT IT NOW!!!

Finally here! It's bigger and dirtier than I remembered, luckily I thrive on cleaning up old machinery! Speaking of old can anyone tell me what year this is from! Ser.# an the main body is 5531HVD54-0001. On the cover plate for the electronics (which seem to be in excellent cond.) is # 5531HVD5VI. I got those locations reversed.
So anything in particuIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1055.JPGIMG_1056.JPGIMG_1057.JPGIMG_1058.JPGIMG_1059.JPGIMG_1063.JPGPDNI7317.JPGUDHB4245.JPGlar you would like to see a picture of?

That is a great machine!
A vertical and horizontal mill all in one.
Congrats.

Last edited:
Great catch! I know you will get a lot out of that machine!

I'm having problems with the made in China phase converter which came to me with no instructions. Grrrr. Error code #8

That is a great find, i'm sure that machine will be a lot of fun. Updated us when you get it all cleaned up.

I'm having problems with the made in China phase converter which came to me with no instructions. Grrrr. Error code #8

Do you have a pic of the converter you can post? If it's the same as mine, I have a book with the error codes etc...

Well I decided to go with American Rotary, good reviews and I'm sure it will pay off in the long run in terms of aggrevation alone! In the few moments that it was up and running I noticed that the automatic quill feed doesn't seem to be working though it engages and the handwheel turns, maybe I'm unaware of the secret. Also and maybe related, I can't figure out how the quill lock is supposed to work. The one that's tied into the start switch. Any insights are welcomeIMG_1083.JPG

Very nice machine.

I went with an American Rotary as well. I put a safety disconnect switch in between the breaker and the phase converter - the American Rotary will draw power even when it is turned off, and I didn't want to be using the breaker as an on-off switch. If you use a fused disconnect, you also get a measure of surge protection for free. Something to consider.

The spindle lock for the vertical spindle only works when the quill is all the way up. On a very tight tool, I even lock the quill travel (located near the bottom of the quill). Did you get the thin profile wrench for loosening spindle tooling? I ended up purchasing a "valve" wrench - it would also be easy to make a wrench for the lower spindle slot.

The quill feed? The quill handle does a side shift to engage / disengage. There is a thumb screw that locks the handle in either position. Loosen the thumb screw and then pull the handle down as you try side shifting - it will come to a location where it clicks in.
Much harder to explain than to do.

Back