I did not know they came this large...

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone else caught this video?
I've been in a bunch of shops over the years but I've never seen one this large. (then again, perhaps I just wasn't/haven't been paying attention.)

That is a beast. I have a 14" and it looks like a toy compared to that animal.

I think that I have seen mention of them as big as 42".

We had one at my high school the size of a rhinoceros, guys used to ride on it- :big grin:
I tried to stall it- taking 3/8" deep bites in steel, didn't faze it
Don't remember what brand, could very well have been a Cinci
mark

I operated one just like this when I worked for Deutsch, cutting dove tails in Carpenter 610 that would be made into tools for the Chuckers and Automatic Screw Machines, what a beast.

I think that I have seen mention of them as big as 42".
got curious - yep there is one...
1547680758743.png
Brochure went for $125 on eBay in 2017... whoa....

I've done a bit of research on shapers, as I have owned 7 of them. The largest I found mention of was a 60" shaper, back around the turn of the century or so. The biggest I have or could reasonably handle is a 24".

Railroad shops used units called "pull shapers",that had a big frame like a giant hacksaw.,so the tool was supported both ends ,not overhung......Theres some old machinery books on google books......or used to be......seems nothin is free anymore on the net.

I believe there is a pull shaper in the roundhouse at Greenfield Village. I've never gotten a close look at it, though.

Back