I don't think OSHA would approve,_Lathe and hub repair

Not a pair of safety glasses (or closed toe shoes) to be seen.

Why is that lathe so clean?

Good question Craig,
What about the flowing robes. Yeah, nice lathe.

Seeing that 3rd member spinning at that speed made me stand back from my computer :)

I had the opportunity to work in a 3rd world country in the early 80's. Some of the creative methods of machine repair were interesting.
There was one 2 ton finish winder I rebuilt. I dug it out of the yard with the forklift from the chutney plant. Goats ate the garbage.
I had to install variable speed reduction motors and completely take it back to the way the manufacturer designed it. New babbitt bearings, had to make some new parts, etc.
They had sticks shoved in places to increase drag or mechanics wire and sticks to route the cotton string to the15 baseball cups. leather belt material for bearings. If it wasn't so sad I would be laughing.
When I finished the job, one of the supervisors came over from Rawlings to see it.
He shook my hand and said, that's the best finish winder on the island, congratulations.
That meant a lot to me. All I did was use common sense.
That's when I caught the old iron fever.

Clean new lathes. Clean new drill press. Nary a micrometer in sight. But the sledge hammers are well used.

Wow!
I know that they are just trying to get the job done with the tools, training and parts/machines they have..... so I don't want to bash anyone....

Two thoughts......

1) I didn't see the welder ground connected to the work piece in the chuck (~11:40 in the video).......so I have to assume all that welding current went thru the spindle bearings! No lathe ways or chuck covers either.....too bad, it was a nice lathe.......

2) I bet those hot chips and sparks tend to settle right between the toes.

-brino

Last edited:
They have this technique for welding without a helmet, they flick their eyes so the UV burn is on the whites instead of the retina-
Smart!
-M
Sledge work is so tiring-- where is that chaiwalla!?

Last edited:
Besides the total lack of eye protection, the bit that made me cringe was when he reached over the spinning chuck with his loose shirt sleeves all too close.

Rings, jewelry, sandles!!!
I can't watch. TOO Many people in the work area watching the youngster.
They could use a 20 ton press too. HF less than $200

Last edited:
Back