I don't think OSHA would approve,_Lathe and hub repair

I have a buddy that's a classic Southern good ol' boy. I've watched him dismantle two JD 4020 tractors that didn't run, make one great tractor, and sell the leftovers for more than he paid for both of them. If you picked him up and dropped him in Pakistan, aside from the language barrier, within a month he'd be doing the same thing the same way. And he's not alone.

Glad we don't need to do it that way, and cringeworthy as it was to watch, kb58 nailed it.

The things I have seen in India, Vietnam, Cambodia and a few others are quite frightening
My experiences have been in Mexico and Haiti.
Yeah, shocking.
I'll never forget that smell. It's kind of a cross between burning garbage, burning charcoal, sewage, diesel fumes and rot.
Lovely.

The engineers I met in the bar at The Royal Haitian said, in Saudi they poop in the tank and wash their feet in the bowl.

You know... if you or I had no money, were poorly educated, and lived in a third world country, but had a knack for fixing things, what would we be doing? We may look down on these guys, but talk to any survivalist types in the US, and they will assure you that they would be able to fix anything after society falls apart with their "get 'er done" attitude. It would definitely take so readjustment, but pretty sure they'd end up working in the same manner.
I couldn't resist.
Same theme, do what you can with what you have.
In this episode, they take this mangled frame, put the parts on a motorcycle flat bed and haul them off to the guy with a press. Amazing really.

I've seen that one- they strip the frame completely apart, press the bent rails straight again, then reassemble.
Incredible amount of work. It's like ants swarming over it, a hive-mind of activity
They probably would laugh at us with all our safety regulations and rules
-Mark
The ship breakers of Alang are pretty amazing too

No gloves no problem. No EPA, no problem.
Ouch, I guess it's kind of like the Indians and poison oak, a little exposure early on then later you are immune.
This guy is not affected by battery acid.. It doesn't bother his feet either :)

How much is that in rupees, or whatever the local currency is, as opposed to a person's income?
Well, let's see.
The exchange rate is 73.78 Rupees to the $1.
A 20 ton Harbor freight press is $159.99. That's 11,804 Rupees.
The battery video guy says he can make 3 batteries in one day at $30 each.
I don't know his components cost or overhead, stall rental? etc.
I would think he could walk away with $20 in his pocket for the days work?
Considering his rent, family expenses-food-clothing-medical-etc. He could probably save for that HF press and have enough to pay cash in about two or three years??
That's assuming business is good.
Now I see why they use everything. Did you see the bench grinder? That 6" wheel was probably 1.5".

I couldn't resist.
Same theme, do what you can with what you have.
In this episode, they take this mangled frame, put the parts on a motorcycle flat bed and haul them off to the guy with a press. Amazing really.

At 6:00... that is TRUST...!

I don't trust anyone that much...

-Bear

Hey this guy has a top name welder. ;)

Anybody count all the new looking lathes? Now we have new welders, these guys are moving up in the world.

Wow….
I At the 4:00 mark…I cringed at that rear end spinning in a lathe with the chuck doing 90% of the holding and he’s cutting it on the lathe close to the chuck. If he cuts too deep it goes flying. I mean really….Chuck the damned thing in on the other side and do the cutting on the end near the tailstock. And slow he damned thing down. It’s a weird lathe. It doesn’t even look like it had a back gear.
I cringed again at the way they were trying to slam that steel hub into a cast iron rear end housing. It was obviously too big. He finally figured that out. It’s a wonder he didn’t crack that cast iron housing. Maybe the tubes are steel and only the bango housing is cast. Anyway, I guess when you live in Pakistan… you do what you have to.
I did see a recent 60 minutes showing their arms manufacturing city. It was pretty amazing. They copy every gun in the world. Rough looking copies. But they appear to shoot. Probably not that accurate. But they do function.
Anyway… kudos to them getting the job done. I know that in my 20+ years I did some things that weren’t kosher too. And dangerous too. As they say…..young, dumb, and full of c##…..( yep…that procreation stuff of young men)

Last edited:
I've watched several of these videos. They are very entertaining.

This one with the repaired wheel makes me question the integrity of that wheel.
First off, the wheel probably cracked due to metal fatigue caused by the overload condition. Then, we weld the cracks, clean it up and send it out down the road. I bet they have a lot of repeat business :)
I'm sure glad these trucks aren't on our highways.

The sledge hammer is a very important tool.
I haven't seen how they clean up threads after pounding the ends of u bolts and bolts in general.
The guy that owns the big press and the guy who owns the Russian? lathe, work on everything!!
They are very creative. I haven't seen anyone wearing an eye patch, surprising.

Back