I don't think OSHA would approve,_Lathe and hub repair

Jeff….I watched quite a few of their videos last nite during my insomnia episode around 3:00 Am. Anyway they are entertaining. And guess what….I saw them repair a thread.
Here you go….around the 3:00 mark. FWIW….THAT thread and nut sure appears a pretty sloppy fit in the end. I hope that’s not the Left ( edited after I realized not right side ) side of the vehicle….because the locking nut is now useless and the nuts going to back off while on the road. Maybe….This could be why we see those news stories of buses going off the road and crashing down mountain sides.

Last edited:
I couldn't resist.
Same theme, do what you can with what you have.
In this episode, they take this mangled frame, put the parts on a motorcycle flat bed and haul them off to the guy with a press. Amazing really.

I am actually amazed at what these craftsmen are able to accomplish! It is easy to cast dispersions on how other cultures operate but to me it is also a bit humbling to think of how innovative these guys are. It makes me kind of wonder about how this knowledge gets passed down between generations over there? I have a feeling that these videos aren't too far off from how things were accomplished here in the US 100 or 150 years ago?

The part of the frame rail video that really made me smile was when they loaded the mangled frame rails on the motor cycle cart and it took 4 guys pushing the cart and rails to get all that mass moving since it was way too much for the little motorcycle engine to accelerate (I wonder if that voided the warranty on the motorcycle?). I just can't see that cart stopping at any stop lights? :) That much mass being stopped by tiny motor cycle brakes?... it must have taken the driver many hundreds of feet to come to a stop.

I will respectfully disagree with that. Dealer trained mechanics are fine on what they are trained for. But that's it. They are not trained on theiory. They are not trained to THINK. Stick them in a general setting, given a car from a different company, and they will attempt to fix it exactly as they fixed their brand. And when that fails, out comes the high force tools.
i agree. all us home hobbyists are way better than any dealer mechanic. :cool:

btw when did dealer mechanics start getting trained? i never did

Back