I finally disassembled my RF-45

Kscar3318

Registered
Registered
Since getting my RF-45 I always had the intention of taking it apart and giving it a proper once over. Well after using it for a year I finally decided to do it. Now that it's all taken apart I have a few questions:

1) The leadscrews and nuts are covered in this thick almost peanut butter like grease that I plan to remove. What should I replace it with?

2) What/where should I lubricate during reassembly?

Any "best practices" or general tips and tricks are always appreciated!!

Thank you!!20211211_120132.jpg20211211_120056.jpg20211211_120109.jpg20211211_120116.jpg20211211_120132.jpg

I’d use Lathe Way oil.

Use Motor Honey, it's been known to make old engines young!
(just before the rod goes thru the crankcase)

As it's apart, might be a good time to add a oiling system. Hand pump, oil ports drilled at the X&Y nuts, and on the saddle, with tubing run from a common manifold. Haven't looked, but I imagine there are videos on Youtube outlining the procedure, and parts available on ebay, banggood, etc.. Mike

I also have an RF 45 and have a problem with the X axis handwheel becoming hard to turn when the Y-axis locks are tightened. I am thinking one possible issue is with the X-axis leadscrew and nut. I haven't had it apart yet and was wondering if you could take a photo of the X-axis nut and maybe explain how it is adjusted for alignment and how its fastened to the saddle?

As far as lubrication goes, I always use way oil although from the factory it had grease on both leadscrews. It is tough for chips to get that far under the machine but it does accumulate over time and make its way to the nut.

I also have an RF 45 and have a problem with the X axis handwheel becoming hard to turn when the Y-axis locks are tightened. I am thinking one possible issue is with the X-axis leadscrew and nut. I haven't had it apart yet and was wondering if you could take a photo of the X-axis nut and maybe explain how it is adjusted for alignment and how its fastened to the saddle?

As far as lubrication goes, I always use way oil although from the factory it had grease on both leadscrews. It is tough for chips to get that far under the machine but it does accumulate over time and make its way to the nut.
So unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it off hand, but I did video the disassembly to help with getting it back together so let me look through it and see. Before I disassembled mine I had a similar issue where it was just really tight to crank in the x-axis regardless of how loose everything was. After cleaning everything and realigning it when I bolted it all back together I also ran some vinyl tubing to a grease zerk I drill and tapped into both the x-axis nut and the y-axis nut so I could add oil without disassembling. So far that seems to have helped a lot.

I miss my RF-45. Terrifically stout beast - much more rigid than the recent clones. While you have it apart you might consider painting it. Also, this video might be useful at reassembly time.

Back