I Finally Got A Bridgeport!!!

magu

Registered
Registered
So a few days before Christmas, a vendor I frequent through inspections for my company gave me a call. I have been asking him if he wanted to sell his milling machine for about 2.5 years now and it turns out he decided he could better use the space for something else. Following that discussion, the Moday after Christmas I hopped in an s15 (gmc's s10) and drow the ~3.5 hours our to Columbus. An hour or so later I was on a nerve racking trip back to Pittsburgh. Fast forward to today: my mill is unloaded, in position, and the turret is back on.

So without further ado, here is my mill. It is a 1948 Bridgeport round ram m head.

All that is left now is to run juice to it and hold on tight. IMG_20160103_212024450.jpg

nice enjoy it, I have a 1950ish round ram with a j head that I just got about a month ago. just put the 3 axis DRO on it but still need to do a permanent wire job for it.

Our machines are brothers! Mine is also a 1948 :)

Mine lived in a filter manufacturer's shop, then got sent to a machinery dealer and picked up by a family friend. He used it, then got a 2J2 with nice chrome ways and an Enco box way copy. It sat for 20 years, and was given to me in 2013. If you need any info, feel free to ask. I've torn apart most of the head, removed the table and have a good idea of what's in the knee.

Looks like you need to make a knee lock handle :)

Thank you both. I would love to put at least a 2 axis DRO on mine, if not 3.

Andre, I will probably be picking your brain in the near future, by the looks of it, my mill hasn't had a good cleaning since 1949 or so.... I guess I will need to make a knee lock, didn't know I was missing one.

Exciting times!
Congratulations on the "new" machine.
-brino

I would check out that drum switch before you put the juice to it...it looks a little "swollen". Congrats, you've entered a whole new obsession!

Yes, it certainly does feel great, and a bit overwhelming.... now to tool up without spending too much.

LOL, I don't know why, but every time I move a machine I #%$@ up the switch, always the switch, but only the switch. I have considered taking them off first, but then god knows what i would ahem "mess up"

Congrats on acquiring your mill. I know I always get excited when ever I get a new to me piece of equipment. Enjoy, Mike

Now in for it , time to feed the beast. you'll need all kinds of tooling a vise a hold down kit. The list grows all the time but it could be worse . Your mill looks like its in great condition . the fittings on the table take oil not grease just to let ya know if you didn't all ready. My first mill was an m head round ram like yours , good little mill too. I moved in by myself using sections of 1" pipe and a pry bar in fact I slid it out of my truck by digging holes and backed the wheels in the holes to lower the angle I then used a coma long to lower it down the ramps ,two planks with blocks so it couldn't bend.

Back