I Finally Got A Bridgeport!!!

Yes, I know. Just what I need, something else to poor money on. It will be slow going for quite some time with priorities where they are right now but that is okay. I have heard that reiterated several times, unfortunately the previous owner, like many, greased everything. I'll have to look into the best way to clean it out so I can oil things properly.

Get ya some that good Zep degreaser and start from the top. Always start at the top and let gravity give you the advantage. I've never seen dirt and crud run "up"..:D

After cleaning and refreshing multiple machines (6-8?) I much prefer kerosene as a general degreaser and cleaner. You can use it over and over again. let it sit over night and the junk settles out. Leaves no residue that needs to be cleaned off and won't damage metal if any is left on.

For tooling keep a close watch on Craigslist. I keep a page open on my phone and just refresh it many times a day if I'm looking for something. I've left work to go look at deals. I picked up a Bridgeport a couple of years ago for $1300. Told my boss about it and he said why are you still standing here? My latest mill cost me $1000, with repairs and upgrades I have $2500 in it.

About 2 weeks ago I scored 2 Jacobs 18N ball bearing super chucks for $100.

That is very similar to the M head I just found! I've not much experience with a Bridgeport either so I'm going to be watching your process as well. Tooling is hard to come across in my area, on CL at least.

Congrats on the mill! And congrats on making it back alive! I have an S15 also, I wouldn't load more than the mill's table in it...

Back