I forgot I had an Anschutz target rifle = 1903 model

This thread brings back old memories. When I was in high school I was into smallbore prone competitive shooting in So Cal. In the summer of 1965 we went on a family vacation to Europe. Had to stop at the Anschutz factory in Germany. After ogling and being awed by the fancy 54 match rifles which were more than I could afford I bought a model designed to comply with an international 3 position standard. It had to meet certain specs as to just about everything from the stock to sights, barrel and weight. My recollection was that it was a model 1407 or 1408. But from what I have read online those had a 54 action which I didn't think my had. I know it wasn't a 64 action because another kid in the junior gun club had a 64 and mine was different from his. This rifle had no sentimental value to me. It was just a tool that I put thousands of rounds through on the way to a fourth place finish in my division at the national matches at Camp Perry. I sold it to another kid in the club who made me one of those too good to be true offers that I just couldn't pass up. I have no pictures of the rifle.

Yeah, the 54 is another $1,500 on average. At this level, I wonder what the real difference is?? My Anschutz is a tack driver, I found some of the Eley Match ammo In my box.
I bet the tour was really neat.

Mine was a tack driver too. The way they scored the targets was if the scorers could see three shots in the group with the center gone they had to give you the benefit of the doubt that the other two shots were in the center of the hole. Some of my friends tried to get away with only three shots. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't.
I used Eley match ammo at times. Mostly I used whatever ammo the military guys had. They were issued more ammo than they could use. I remember buying 500 round bricks for sometimes as little as a $1 or $2 per brick. Never more than $5. I would buy up all I could and share the savings with the kids in the club who didn't go to matches.
One trick we played on the young kids just starting out was to tape a big knife to the center front of a milk crate and a balloon on each rear corner. The kids' eyes would get big as saucers as they watched us pop the balloons. They could never do it. We didn't tell them that we were using 22 birdshot ammo.

Fun times.

Back