I found a deal on a new Kent USA KTM-4VKF mill

Watchwatch

Registered
Registered
Made an off the cuff offer on a Kent mill that I thought would be laughed off. The guy countered back at under $9k. Now I’m seriously considering pulling the trigger.

Box ways, integrated VFD, solid machine. A machine that will last my for the rest of my life. I’ll need to add a DRO and power feed.

So here I sit trying to talk myself out making the purchase. I have a Well Index 747 with issues. I got it cheap(about $2k total invested) and should be able to at least break even. It runs and cuts, but the ways need scrapped. Issues with y axis and the table plus I’m short on free time.

I’ve been eyeballing various PM knee and bench top mills. But the Kent is a lot more mill compared to a comparable PM knee mill. This is probably the wrong place to ask :) but any good reason not to pull the trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a lot of mill for the price, I think it is a great price given the list on them and it is one of their newer versions, although looks like it is NOS. Question would be if there is any warranty? Otherwise, the factory VFDs on these mills is the way to go in my view. Basically a direct drive with a back gear, they use a vector TEBC motor, the VFD is rated for both single and 3 phase input. If you are OK with the price range, probably the last mill you will get. It is quite heavy so you need to figure shipping and getting it off the flatbed. Difficult to move around at 3600 lbs. You are going to want to add some drives, minimum I would suggest is X and Z. Cranking the knee gets old fast.

Post a link so I can buy it. haha.
What spindle taper?
Could you get your Wells Index rebuilt for that price from Wells Index?

I have an older Kent 4VK I bought used. It had a vari speed head that was damaged beyond repair, but I found a VFD style E head and put on it.

I had a Bridgeport before and this is much more rigid and lots more power. You will love that mill if you get it.

$9k is a steal for that machine.

What am I missing? There's a new one on Ebay for $9600? Below $9k would be a decent price, but not a screaming deal?

I assume this is the one he is looking at.

Back