I found a old south bend 9k in barn been there for 30 years and had some tooling with it but this part i don't what it is or does could someone help

Just a guess but it looks like a ruff cast for a steady rest that was never finished.

:dunno: Never seen a piece like that on a lathe. Keep it around, it might be useful.

It looks like 1/2 the counter weight from a syncrobalanced B&S engine. Can you give some dimensions. They come in different sizes, based on the engine HP, and do not all look the same.

bns.jpg

I think superburban hit the nail Squarely on the head here! But with that said it is most definitely in my minds eye a very useful
Repurpose would be to make a Steady Rest as the shape lends itself as a perfect candidate with just a few modification to get it up and running. When comparing starting from Scratch you are way ahead of the game with something that would work for you assuming the size is acceptable.....judging the size specs from the pics you posted are you kinda hard to judge.

Last edited:
Its been many years, since I held one, but IIRC, the holes is in the 2" to 2&1/4" size. 8 to 12 HP size engines.

Its been many years, since I held one, but IIRC, the holes is in the 2" to 2&1/4" size. 8 to 12 HP size engines.
Oh ok so its not even close to the size i assumed it was (4 to 5 inch ID!)
Thank you very much for the feedback.

Back