[4]

I found a old south bend 9k in barn been there for 30 years and had some tooling with it but this part i don't what it is or does could someone help

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Just a guess but it looks like a ruff cast for a steady rest that was never finished.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
:dunno: Never seen a piece like that on a lathe. Keep it around, it might be useful.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
It looks like 1/2 the counter weight from a syncrobalanced B&S engine. Can you give some dimensions. They come in different sizes, based on the engine HP, and do not all look the same.

Attachments

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
I think superburban hit the nail Squarely on the head here! But with that said it is most definitely in my minds eye a very useful
Repurpose would be to make a Steady Rest as the shape lends itself as a perfect candidate with just a few modification to get it up and running. When comparing starting from Scratch you are way ahead of the game with something that would work for you assuming the size is acceptable.....judging the size specs from the pics you posted are you kinda hard to judge.

Last edited:

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Its been many years, since I held one, but IIRC, the holes is in the 2" to 2&1/4" size. 8 to 12 HP size engines.

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Its been many years, since I held one, but IIRC, the holes is in the 2" to 2&1/4" size. 8 to 12 HP size engines.
Oh ok so its not even close to the size i assumed it was (4 to 5 inch ID!)
Thank you very much for the feedback.

billeoff

Registered
thanks ever one i believe the hole is about 2" there is another piece that came with it i went to take pic phone went dead i will post tomorrow if i can get phone to work both had gray paint on them ---got mill attach 4 difference chucks lots of tool holders hand full of cutting tools thanks again

billeoff

Registered
you could be right there were some old 3 or 4 hit and mis engines in the leaves around old lathe parts ever where i going to post pic of anther part it was in chip pan for your oppion THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

billeoff

Registered
with the old lathe i got these two other parts i don't know what i have any ideal Thanks for looking

Attachments

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
The Shaft part looks like part of a taper attachment.....Im Most likely wrong but thats my first impression. The circle plate I dont have a guess!

billeoff

Registered
The Shaft part looks like part of a taper attachment.....Im Most likely wrong but thats my first impression. The circle plate I dont have a guess!
my thoughts also taper attachment that round piece i though might be part of tool post grinder ??? now 60 years ago i remember the lathe in the shop right up the street where i lived the man who had it would have got ever attachment it had''''' after being through around for 40 years i am sure a lot of lost parts===THANKS YOU FOR YOUR HELP BE

Old Mud

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Bill, i think now we need pics. of the lathe. :)

billeoff

Registered
old mud--i have been cleaning it up wlll send picture when i get it together -- ever part was froze up worked on compond tool rest one hold day before got it free ed up THANK YOU

billeoff

Registered
old mud got the old lathe going got to do little tuning did turn a piece of brass of course i spent a lot of time and money getting it going got nothing else to do keeps me busy --just before i took pic jerk the electric plug off ===thanks happen THANK YOU FOR YOUR Help

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]