I Gaging Dro Installation, Shenwai Sw900b Lathe

I Gaging Dro Installation, continued...
i located the holes and drilled & tapped to accept #10-24 x 1" SS screws and mounted the brackets to the lathe bed.

headstock side
2016-07-03.jpg
2016-07-03.jpg
i quickly fab'd a bracket to mount the slider to the saddle.
i added 1 M6 x1.0 x 20mm SS socket head capscrew to hold the saddle bracket to the saddle.
2016-07-03.jpg
2016-07-03.jpg
i then installed 2 #8-32 x 3/8" SS screws to hold the scale to the brackets.
i snugged up the hardware and was ready for a test.
after a couple adjustments, the scale was plumb and level to the lathes' bed.
i mounted the x display next to the y axis display on top of the VFD enclosure.
2016-07-03.jpg

2016-07-03.jpg

it works like a dream and was a relatively simple installation.
in the next episode:
Doing away with batteries on the I Gaging DRO.....

thanks for looking!

Hi Mike, reat installation job, the DRO's certainly make life easier dont they. Mike I have a SW350 which I am going to start reconditioning as soon as I have finished my surface grinder and was wondering if you have any mates that might have that model or whether you know of where I can track down a manual/parts book for it as it would be helpful. Also, the guy I got this one off had it mounted on a bed with another machine and had made mods so that he could swap the belt and run either machine, could I ask you to send me a photo of your motor and it's set up for reference please. many thanks in advance, gordonagent@gmail.com

email sent!
a link and an attachment was sent
i don't have the original motor anymore that was sold off, sorry i cant provide pictures of that at the moment.
i can provide pictures of the 3hp 3 phase motor i installed or you could see ths thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-conversion-shenwai-900b-1236-lathe.61375/
i may be able to search archives on the other computer- but that may be a slow proposition

let me know if i can assist you further :)

Last edited:
I Gaging DRO Installation
i got the i gaging dro's for my Shenwai SW900B lathe.
View attachment 185719

View attachment 185720
a close up of the scale installation, below
View attachment 185721
i got the 6" cross slide (Y axis) installed and the display positioned on my vfd enclosure.
View attachment 185722

to install,
lay out where the scale and dro slider will fit and be mounted.
(i removed the cross slide assembly)
drill holes & tap holes for the scale mount & dro slider ( i chose #8-32 x 1/4" screws- #29 tap drill)
(re-install cross slide)
install scale on cross slide & bolt the dro slider to the saddle
operate the cross slide and shim scale and/or dro slider as necessary to have a smooth, dragless, feel
install batteries and mount the display as necessary.

the unit works great in metric, decimal inch, and fractional inch
advertised accuracy is .002" per 6" of travel, i'll put it to the test....
stay tuned for the X axis in the next act!
i'll also be converting the units to battery free operation after the 2nd dro is installed...
thanks for reading!
Hi
Great idea to fit a DRO on your lathe.
I have the Same lathe in the UK and have owned it since 1974 - I have lost a the chart on top of the feed/screw cutting gearbox which shows the TPI / lever possitions.
Would you be able to take photos of the charts on your lathe and email them to me please?
Also if anyone reading this has the original hand book I would love a photo copy or scan of it.
r.j.lewis5956@gmail.com
Thanks.
Rob.

Last edited:
Back