I got me one of these! HASLER SPEED INDICATOR

Finster

Registered
Registered
Well, I've never used one but I found one of these on E-bay for $25 and some change (shipping included). Meh, if it's a piece of junk, it will still be something to display on a bookshelf. I figure for $25, I'll roll the dice. This isn't the super duper ally ooper accurate one. This is the "Type A" it's supposed to be accurate within 2 rpm. More than accurate enough for me. Anyone else have and use one? Any hint's, tricks or do's and don'ts?

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting instrument. I would guess that it functions much like the old mechanical speedometers in cars. The spindle is attached to a rotating magnet and the magnet creates eddy currents which create a force that works against a clock spring. The faster the rotation the greater the force and the greater the deflection.

As I recall, the mechanical speedometers were notoriously inaccurate. Hopefully, the Hasler indicator doesn't suffer from the same problems.

Interesting instrument. I would guess that it functions much like the old mechanical speedometers in cars. The spindle is attached to a rotating magnet and the magnet creates eddy currents which create a force that works against a clock spring. The faster the rotation the greater the force and the greater the deflection.

As I recall, the mechanical speedometers were notoriously inaccurate. Hopefully, the Hasler indicator doesn't suffer from the same problems.
I read a bit about them before I bought it. They are Swiss made and supposed to be pretty good. They have been around since the very late 1800's. However, your guess is as good as mine. That being said, I have never owned anything (measurement wise) be it a caliper, indicator, watch or whatever that was Swiss made and not accurate. I do know there army knives suck! :big grin:

Remember having to check the calibration on the old mechanical speedometers for each new car that I owned on a measured mile using a stopwatch. I have never found an inaccurate digital speedometer. That said, I highly doubt that American car manufacturers used Swiss made speedometers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Las...498610?hash=item25d3b2c5f2:g:QAcAAOSwDNdV7QCV
Works great, incredible accuracy! $7.72 including freight.
$_1.JPG

Works great, incredible accuracy! $7.72 including freight.

How do you know it's accurate?
I have the same model - directly from China. I compared the measurements with diy meter (diy meter is not portable - builtin display for mill spindle) - they were 20% off. Of course diy meter may by the bad one - but oscilloscope says it's spot on.

Wysłane z mojego GT-N7100 przy użyciu Tapatalka

If the Chinese tach works at all it should be essentially perfectly accurate, as a function of how it works. You could test it using a synchronous motor against the mains wave accuracy. The one I have seems to be accurate within the specs, which are extremely tight. Make sure you get a good read...

I have one of each. The Hasler i've had since the sixties. Used it a few times. It works fine. Sorta neat.
The cheapo chinese one Ive had for 3 years and it works great. I installed a mac tach on my lathe and
all three agree. One requires a reflection from a little piece of reflective tape, one requires direct contact
with the thing thats spinning and one just tells me how fast the lathe is turning. They all have their
place. That was a good deal Finster enjoy and use a fine piece of history.

Hi Bob
Just wounding How those Chinese eBay tacks work , just hold it by the spinning object ?

Hi Bob
Just wounding How those Chinese eBay tacks work , just hold it by the spinning object ?
You install a small strip of reflective tape on what you are measuring and then shine the light on it and it counts the revs as the tape comes around. It takes less than a second to get a reading unless it is turning really slowly.

Back