I Got Money Burnin' A Hole In My Pocket

Ironken

Registered
Registered
Ok gentlemans, I had my heart set on a PM1030V. We all know the 1030v's specs and no stand available coming in at just south of $2300 on fleabay. Cash in hand, ready to order. I need some spiritual guidance.......

I know Matt over at QMT is legit! No worries there. But, there is a but. I happened upon this http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Weiss_Lathes.htm over at DRO PROS. The pic is not an accurate rep of what they will be getting on 11/15. The specs below their 10x30 are mostly accurate. It has a SEPERATE feed rod and 1100w of power (more than PM, I think if 1100w equates 1.5hp). I reserved a machine and stand. It is sold by Weiss.

Sooo.....what are you guys' thoughts? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reactions: PWF
I have a few questions:
  • What kind of chuck mount does it have? This will determine how much flexibility you will have buying chucks from other makers. Fingers crossed that it is a camlock spindle.
  • Threading range - will it cut the full range of threads they list or does it come with a full set of change gears for Imperial and Metric? Does it come with a thread dial indicator?
  • Are the gears hardened and ground?
  • Power feed on cross feed? Not that critical but nice to have at times.
  • Is a carriage stop available or do you need to make one?
  • Is the VS motor a DC motor or 3-phase with VFD? This matters in how much torque is available at low speeds.
  • The compound mount looks a lot like the 2-bolt ring on the old 9 X 20's, which was notorious for lacking rigidity. Might have to make your own 4-bolt ring.
  • Is power feed in X done with the leadscrew? I don't see a separate drive rod ...
  • It looks like the lathe bolts to the cabinet and the lathe must be leveled with the cabinet or with shims. I don't see adjusters on the lathe feet.
  • Can't see a sight glass on the headstock so I assume the spindle gear train is greased, not run in an oil bath?
I would personally want to know all of this before buying one. I'm sure there are other questions to ask but this is off the top of my head. I'm trying to relate this to one of the established lathe designs because most asian lathes are copies of an already successful design but I can't pin it.

Regardless, it looks like a nice lathe and that VS really makes it attractive. I hope it works out well for you!

Fingers crossed that it is a camlock spindle.
Not a chance. The only new machines I have seen smaller than the 12x24 or 12x36 range with a camlock chuck was the (discontinued) South Bend (Grizzly) SB1001 9" lathe.

to the OP: separate feed rod on this class of machine is a huge plus. Should be a nice machine.

Just one caveat: if you have the additional money and the space, stepping up to a 12x24 or 12x36 lathe gets you a real Quick Change Gearbox (the ones in machines this size are crippled), and a camlock chuck. Both huge advantages.

Last edited:
I have a few questions:
  • What kind of chuck mount does it have? This will determine how much flexibility you will have buying chucks from other makers. Fingers crossed that it is a camlock spindle.
  • Threading range - will it cut the full range of threads they list or does it come with a full set of change gears for Imperial and Metric? Does it come with a thread dial indicator?
  • Are the gears hardened and ground?
  • Power feed on cross feed? Not that critical but nice to have at times.
  • Is a carriage stop available or do you need to make one?
  • Is the VS motor a DC motor or 3-phase with VFD? This matters in how much torque is available at low speeds.
  • The compound mount looks a lot like the 2-bolt ring on the old 9 X 20's, which was notorious for lacking rigidity. Might have to make your own 4-bolt ring.
  • Is power feed in X done with the leadscrew? I don't see a separate drive rod ...
  • It looks like the lathe bolts to the cabinet and the lathe must be leveled with the cabinet or with shims. I don't see adjusters on the lathe feet.
  • Can't see a sight glass on the headstock so I assume the spindle gear train is greased, not run in an oil bath?
I would personally want to know all of this before buying one. I'm sure there are other questions to ask but this is off the top of my head. I'm trying to relate this to one of the established lathe designs because most asian lathes are copies of an already successful design but I can't pin it.

Regardless, it looks like a nice lathe and that VS really makes it attractive. I hope it works out well for you!

I'll answer with what DRO Pros told me....

First, the pics are old on their site.

Chuck is direct mount.

Threading range....I don't know

Gears.....Don't know

Power feeds in both directions in both axis.

Seperate feed rod

I have yet to see any of these small chinese lathe cabinets come with adjustable feet.....that would be slick though.

Gear box is wet lube.

All great questions you brought up, thanks!

Not a chance. The only new machines I have seen smaller than the 12x24 or 12x36 range with a camlock chuck was the (discontinued) South Bend (Grizzly) SB1001 9" lathe.

to the OP: separate feed rod on this class of machine is a huge plus. Should be a nice machine.

Just one caveat: if you have the additional money and the space, stepping up to a 12x24 or 12x36 lathe gets you a real Quick Change Gearbox (the ones in machines this size are crippled), and a camlock chuck. Both huge advantages.

I agree with you on all of the above!

I really like the seperate feed rod design and you are absolutely right in the fact that a 12x36 or larger would be better. My pockets aren't deep enough right now and not having a lathe is hindering me on some simple projects so.......the smaller machine wins. Making sparks is what is making me a few bucks and I am always adding to the welding side of things so, the machining side gets the stepchild treatment.

I like DRao Pros, Brian is a nice guy and helpful, but I would only buy from Matt because of his service. He has earned my business with the best customer service that I have ever received from a vendor. Just my 2 cents!

I would look at the PM128, Sieg, Weis are brand names not manufacturers. Each distributor has a different set of build specs and QA, so machines can look similar and yet be very different. Descriptions and pictures can often be lacking, also worth while to see what others have posted as to their experience.

I would look at the PM1228, I believe it is a variant of the Sieg SC10 model, but there are differences. I like DRO Pros, but I think Quality Machine Tools version offers more and more post purchase support. I am not aware that Grizzly sells anything comparable with the features and price level. Still these are built to a price level, so expect to put some work into any of these machines setting them up.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1228VF-LB.html
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-pm-1228-vf-lb-arrives-today.49977/

I would look at the PM128, Sieg, Weis are brand names not manufacturers. Each distributor has a different set of build specs and QA, so machines can look similar and yet be very different. Descriptions and pictures can often be lacking, also worth while to see what others have posted as to their experience.

I would look at the PM1228, I believe it is a variant of the Sieg SC10 model, but there are differences. I like DRO Pros, but I think Quality Machine Tools version offers more and more post purchase support. I am not aware that Grizzly sells anything comparable with the features and price level. Still these are built to a price level, so expect to put some work into any of these machines setting them up.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1228VF-LB.html
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-pm-1228-vf-lb-arrives-today.49977/

I get that Weiss is just branding machines built in one of many noodle factories. The price tag for the 1228 is getting real close to a 12x36. For me the 12x36 hands down. As far as post purchase setup.....yeah, been there with a couple Grizzly products. But, now I have more experience than desired disassembling Chinese/Taiwanese crap.

Last edited:
The factory shown in the pix is Sumore Tools in Shanghai. I have a 3in1 from them I imported myself, and it has performed well in the 5 years I've had it. U might look up their website for a little more info. There are a lot of models shown and maybe DRO would import whatever u want?

I would look at the PM1228
That is $1300 more than the machine the OP is looking at. If he was will to spend $3000 for a lathe, I would be strongly suggesting he go for a 12x36 model that has a real (Norton) QCGB (or a Grizzly 12x24 if he didn't have space).

The question to answer is what other lathes should he look at that are near that $1700 price point.
1. Grizzly 11x26 at $1500. No power cross feed, no separate feed rod, no variable speed.
2. Grizzly 1022V at $1700. No power cross feed, no separate feed rod.
3. PM1030V at $1800. No power cross feed, no separate feed rod.

I would strongly recommend that the OP gets a photo of the actual lathe DROPros is selling, showing the separate feed rod, prior to purchase, just to make sure there is no mis-communication. I haven't seen any Weiss WM250V photos online that show this configuration.
http://www.weiss.com.cn/products_detail/productId=51.html

A
lso, if you do buy from DROPros, recommend (if you can swing the cash) you buy a DRO at the same time. Having one on a lathe is a glorious thing, and the 25% discount they are offering is nice.

Back