I Guess I Do Not Understand People And/Or Their Decisions.......

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the title says, I guess I do not understand people and some of their choices. I just got off the phone with a friend that lives in Wisconsin, I worked with him, when I lived in Milwaukee. He has a small shop, he is deeply into RC planes and boats, mention RC cars and he goes spastic, not for him. During our conversation, me said he shipped out a crate of worn files (close to a hundred files), to someone to be resharpen. I asked the cost of such a venture, he said it was about $65 in shipping (another $65 to get them back) and about $8-$10 a file to resharpen them.

I understand the need for a good file, but I’ve always considered files to be basically a consumable item. I can buy decent files for $10, not great, but workable files. He said his total cost will be in the $900-$1200 range. I was SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, more likely I was flabbergasted.

My neighbor bought a 2007 Kia Optima for $1700, so far he has put close to another $11,000 into the car over the last 2 yrs. I’m not sure how much the car was new, but I’m sure $13,000 has a large part of the price. I’m not talking about a classic car, were talking about a Kia.

My other neighbor needed a new pool fence, he got a quote to have a completely new fence install, all new wood. He asked about saving a few of the good panels and using them. The fencing contractor said, that type of work, would be time and material, so he decided to go that way. When they got done the original quote was close to $6800, the total cost by doing it time and material was over $11,000.

Maybe I’m serious cynical, maybe I’m cut from a different bolt of cloth, but I just do not understand people and the decisions they make.

I think files are sharpened by dipping in acid, should be pretty cheap ---

So I thought, but according to him, the acid is part of it, but they actually, reset the teeth or ridges (?), apparently they say it involves I a bit of manual labor on each file.

It is easy to get sucked into the trap of buying a cheap fixer upper and then sinking tons of money into the fixing. I think that there is something built into our psyche that prevents us from admitting that we made a mistake and keeps us throwing just a bit more money at the project.

As to the files, there may be some justification in that new files are inferior to the files of several decades ago. However, I think that $10 a file is a bit steep considering that you can have files sharpened here https://boggstool.com/file-division for a fraction of that price. Sounds like a bit of impulse buying.

Hiring a contractor by time and materials is always a pig in a poke. Personally, if I do so, it is with the resignation that whatever the final bill is, I will pay it and forget it. If you feel that you got ripped off, make a note to not do business with that individual again. Years ago, auto mechanics were renowned for jacking up the repair costs. Probably the main reason why flat rates were developed. I have hired numerous contractors on a time and materials basis and so far I haven't been burned. I do try to get a "do not exceed" agreement when I can though.

Wellll ... I guess I've done pretty much the same at times. Sometimes it's a rabbit hole - I think it'll be an easy, cheap fix, but it keeps growing and growing. And by the time I come up for air (ie, take the time to think), there's so much sunk cost that the only sensible alternative is to bull ahead. Other times, I just want to tinker with it or have an excuse to be creative. Plus the fact that, being retired (retireded?), my labor rate is $0/hour.

And it's been said on the forum before, a machinist is somebody who will happily send $30.00 to make a $1.35 part :)

Hiring a contractor by time and materials is always a pig in a poke.

About 75% of the work I do is Time and Material, basic service calls, being the contractor, I always want/prefer T&M. Hard to lose money doing work at T&M.........:)

You're reducing emotional decisions down to being solely a cost issue. Many people don't operate that way; many things are subjective endeavors that they may well be very happy with when it's done. Also, where do you draw the line? Many people would say that cable TV is a waste of money, what about that? Or a hobby that doesn't generate an income, or any other activity that you don't agree with. At the end of the day, it's their money, and maybe when they're 85 yrs old and broke, you can say "told 'ya so", but not until then!

Back