I hate mice

This is the most effective method.

The only thing more effective is TWO female cats. They will enter a competition about who can kill more critters. The rodents will call it Armageddon.

Boat buck is $1K

No solutions from me, just a story.
I had a '92 F250 parked inside of my shop for about a year, while I was away.
When I returned and started the truck, it blew a big (it would take both hands to hold it) mass of mouse nest out the exhaust pipe.
The part that is most amazing to me is imagining the gymnastics that momma mouse had to go through to construct that nest.
The exhaust system was 3" from the muffler back, in good condition, and the tip was about 18" off the floor with nothing to jump from within 3 feet. The only alternative to jumping into the open tip would be to do some sort of maneuver from the top of the pipe and flip into the open tip.
I wish I had video of that.

Can't bring myself to kill anything anymore, unless me and mine were at risk.

Military ruined me that way. There’s a few squirrels out of their cage and chewing on the wiring upstairs these days. A bit ironic considering this thread.....

Not that I'm not capable, I certainly have the training, will and means (bare hands are more than enough). All it would take is a dire need and there would be a flip of a switch, tactical mode would kick in and….well, 'nuff said about that.

I just don't want to be the cause of end of life anymore. Heck, a raccoon or porky on the side of the highway will drive me into a depression like state these days. Don’t even get me started on a dog….

But i also can't stand the way mice/rodents destroy things (motorcycles, cars, boats, trailers, flower beds, etc) so I have to use humane traps:

61UK72EWgNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Took a while to find one that works, but this one does the job just fine. Check it in the mornings and if there's any mice around, they're in it. Drive a couple miles away and release them in the woods.

But I’ve got them all taken up for now. Winter is coming and any mouse that has established a nest on my property gets to stay until spring, when the “relocation services” will start up again.

I even struggle with bugs and trees die-ing, so for me, it is what it is......

Last edited:
All of the suggestions outshine an old riding partner's way of dealing with rodents in his pole barn. He drank 'shine sometimes; sitting at his workbench or on his bike. With his .22 revolver. He had no love or patience with the little intruders so...
This came to an end when he shot his bike's new front tire. The rest of us were just happy he didn't shoot the bike's gas tanks.

Last year my mother called she thinks she has a squirrel problem. Brought my son with a arson of Airsoft guns and goggles. Confirmed she had squirrels in the eves of the garage. We shut the overhead door and went to town on them. Chased them out quickly in the hole they came in. Their was 3 of them. It was chaotic but worked. Sealed up the hole problem solved. My son loved it and waiting for another call.

Don't get me wrong, I want all those hanta-virus laden, tick-infested, equipment destroying, chew monsters dead!

My problem with the poison route is the secondary effects to the animals that eat the poisoned mice/rats.
If you have cats or dogs around it could be really bad for them.

Some of the newer ones like Wilsarin, that despite the name, are NOT warfarin-based and therefore are a little more discriminate.
That one is made from corn cellulose meant to "interfere with the rodents digestive system and causes dehydration", but not affect cats and dogs.

Brian

I think the poison is that brand name. The dehydration is what i was told.

For a while there, I believe around 2013, in an effort to go “Green”, a lot of electrical wire used soy based insulation. Mice say “Yum!”
That is the definition of unintended consequences! Ouch!

Got my fathers old C Farmall that I use to split wood. Would not crank. New battery. Pulled maybe 2 gallons of mouse/rats nest out of the clutch housing. Tiny hole maybe 1 1/2 inch to get in.
Bought a range hood at thrift store. In original box. Took it out, tested it, reboxed it and left it in the shop for a couple of months. Laid it in kitchen floor, unscrewed housing. Rat and 3 babies ran out. Only hole is the fan blower. Never caught the rat.
Some rodent has eaten the fuel injector wire (same one ) off my F350 twice.

Yellow fly bait and cola cola in a tray. Protect from your animals and or friends.

I think the poison is that brand name. The dehydration is what i was told.

It's a little tricky, the names are similar and BOTH will cause dehydration.

Wilson has both kinds:

1) The corn based one not supposed to hurt dogs/cats that eat the dead mice/rats,
The one I used was labeled "Wilsarin".

and

2) Another that is Warfarin based- a poison that can cause secondary deaths

Brian

All of the suggestions outshine an old riding partner's way of dealing with rodents in his pole barn. He drank 'shine sometimes; sitting at his workbench or on his bike. With his .22 revolver. He had no love or patience with the little intruders so...
This came to an end when he shot his bike's new front tire. The rest of us were just happy he didn't shoot the bike's gas tanks.
There's always .22 caliber"rat shot"....

Back