I have a description, need accessories.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A friend was give a machine he calls a router table, made/sold by Sears - Craftsman. The arbor is either 1/2 or 1/4", he either doesn't remember or can't tell. His gesture, index finger and thumb was a lot closer to 1/2". His problem is that the cutters mount on the vertical shaft, not like a router, It sounds to me more like a shaper. He said there's a lever that raises and lowers the tool.
I told him I'd try to find a source for cutters.
Can one of us tell me what he's got, and perhaps where to find cutters?

It sounds like a shaper to me, too. You can still buy 1/2" shaper cutters from this source -- corobcutters.com

Grizzly Industrial has a selection of shaper cutters.

Eagle American comes to mind but there are many other places that sell cutters for a shaper of this type.

"Billy G"

Back when 1/2" routers were only found in factories, these little shapers were great for the home handyman. I have Grizzly 1026, a 3hp 3/4" shaft shaper. As far as shapers go, it's considered light duty and minimal.

It sounds like a spindle moulder,(is that what Americans call a shaper?), uses in the smaller sizes the same cutters as a router. You slide the work along a fence into the cutter as opposed to moving a router along the work? The toolpost/shaft will have a nut and collet on the end same as a router so take the collet out and measure it. 1/4", 1/2" cutters are redily available as are 6 mm & 12 mm, 3/8" & 10 mm shank are other sizes but from what i've seen pretty rare.

sounds like he may be talking of an aluminum router table for a hand held router to attach in the bottom---I have a couple of them ---there is a lever lock for holding it at a certain depth --I found a picture of one of mine---Davedavids camera 5-2012 163.jpg

How are the cutters held? Is there a router style collet? A picture would help us understand. May be a Craftsman version of a Delta Router/Shaper I used to own. This used a router style collet, but the motor was mounted on a steel bracket which slide up and down in a special bracket. My Delta did not hold position well.

I have that one, myself, Dave, with fences. He says his doesn't have a router beneath it, but has a shaft sticking up, no collet.

I have not seen the machine, relying on his 'discription.'

Thanks for the suggestions, I've found five web sites for him to look at, if this is what he's looking for, great, otherwise, I'll probably be back.

Last edited:
Back