I have a possible electrical problem.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In what has become my day job, making balsa propellers, I've encountered a problem. The machine seen below, consists of a vertical spindle with a sanding drum on the bottom and a pulley/belt drive on top, a motor on the left which moves the spindle down to operation position or up out of position and a motor on the right which oscilates the spindle vertically about 3/8" maybe twice a second.
Prop Machine.jpg

The motor on the right, osculation, stopped several months ago and I found a wire that had stopped conducting electricity. I replaced that wire and it continued to operate until today.
I've checked there's 110 (more like 122 at all connections, from the switch that controls it to the can on the motor. See Below.
Back of osc motor.jpg

I wish to know if this device can fail, how do I determine if it has?, and what is it called, (is this a capacitor?) and what to do to fix it. I haven't checked if it is grounded to the motor, should it be, or not?

And of course, if it hasn't failed, (proves out good) where do I look to get it to work again?

That can is a run capacitor NOTE not a start capacitor, if the motor just buzzes it's possible it's the problem - a replacement will only be a few Local Currency Units, just unwrap the tape and the voltage and capacitance (In uF) will be marked on it.
They do fail, it takes a few years and is quicker if it runs hot.
Remember, RUN not start capacitor, a start cap' in place of a run cap' will overheat and imitate a giant party-popper spraying metallized paper all over the 'shop...

Dave H. (the other one)

Dave, Thanks, I've rerouted electricity to the can, the motor runs, so my problem is in the control panel. It was made 30 years ago, or more, and has been jiggered with several times since. I'll find out the problem now that I know the motor is good.

What is that motor on the left? Oh I see now it raises and lowers the whole assembly
Mark

Back