I have a space problem, lathe related, New ACRA 1440 TVS

The lathe you are getting is light industrial, and I would expect it to last a lot longer than we will be around. The lathe models have been around for awhile, so I do not expect to see an issue with replacement parts, other than the cost. I would not get gibs, as they are matched to the machine and would get minimal wear. On lathes, I adjust my gibs maybe once every 2-3 years, so I do not expect them to wear out for decades. Same goes for the lead screws. About the only thing I would suggest getting would be extra way wipers for the carriage and tailstock, and if you pressurized lube system has a disposable oil filter, a few replacements. The cross slide split nut would be the only item that might need replacement periodically (every 8-10 years?), I have adjusted mine once in 3 years. I would expect wear items to be kept in stock by Acra, Kent, Grizzly (SB) which are all carry the same models of Sunmaster lathes.

Awesome Mark, thank you. The political environment over there is on my mind.

I'm going to sell my 1340GT, and I'm looking at the ACRA 1440CVS, same as the 1440C, but with a VFD installed. or the 1440TVS. The TVS is a bigger heavier more robust machine, than the CVS. I can fit the CVS with a little reorganizing, but the TVS is 6" longer, and I still have to make room to remove the end cover for maintenance. I would have to encroach both front, and back pathways in my garage, relocate my electrical drop boxes, and make the drawers on the tailstock side unable to open fully. As much as I want the bigger machine writing this all out has kind help me make up my mind to get the CVS. What would you do? The CVS is 83", and the TVS is 89".
The Acra has the identical controls as my Clausing Colchester 15x50.
Acra has a great reputation.
I’m excited for you man!

Thank you, I'm just glad I'm not waiting months for this to happen. Everything I'm reading online says "you have visited this page too many times" :)

As a hobby, none of this stuff is "need". "Want" is a completely legitimate reason. :)
(I believe he wanted something with more HP for one thing).
I’m with you Randal.
I wouldn’t own anything smaller than a 2,700# 15x50 :)

I have to make special arrangements for delivery here, my forwarder's forklift, and liftgate are not rated for 3600lbs.

Back