I have made the decision to CNC it!

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
sounds good.. have not ordered it yet.. just wanted to make sure before I did..

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Well, I managed to get Virtual XP Mode on my PC.. now how to get Mach3 from the laptop to the tower in XP mode

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Looks like I have it installed in XP Mode on my Windows 7 64 bit machine..

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Steve,

The motors and the controllers are supposed to be here on Tuesday.. I cleaned up the XP computer.. which took a few hours.. Loaded Mach3 D2nc and eMachineShop on the XP machine..

I tried to run off line the roadrunner.. it would not do it.. I was looking at the settings, saw that the X, Y and Z axis had the Axis Inhibitors lit up green. I turned them off and then went back to the Program Run screen and hit cycle start and it did run till it reached line 496 and then stopped.

What next?

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
that pc should work very well and it was a good deal
mach3 will only run 500 lines of code and at only 25000hz in the demo mode and i think some or all the wizards are disabled.
you have to buy it to get more. but that will get you started and if you break your process into small steps it will work.
steve

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
yeah that and just learning more about it and how it works.. I will need to learn how to get a drawing into d2nc and into mach so that I can play with that. I agree, that doing it line by line is going to work pretty easy.. in mach3 though.. with the repeat button, it does make the idea of doing many of the same thing pretty easy..

jumps4

Global Moderator
did you watch the what is new video at d2nc it will help you a lot.
i dont use the drawing tools in d2nc i only work with imported dxf files it is faster.
steve

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Not yet Steve, but I will.. I sold some stuff today, so now I have enough for the license for the Mach3 and the D2nc programs so that I can take full advantage of the features in the programs.. I am looking forward to having this thing full and up and running by the end of Dec hopefully

Doc

jumps4

Global Moderator
it sounds like you making good progress
watch those vids at d2nc it will help but the first ones are for older versions but watch anyway there are tips that apply
steve

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Well I ordered the pendant..

Getting used to the software.. slowly but surely.. I am looking forward to be up and running soon!

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Well I thought that I was getting the motors and controllers.. read the wrong email I guess.. no love on them.. but the brown truck did leave me today the CNCFusion mounting kit.. so later this evening, I will be putting all of that on the mill and putting it back together.. so that it will be ready for the motors and such when they get there.. If I find my camera, I will post some picks..

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Ok.. motor mounts and the ball screws are in place.. took a bit to get the Z axis mounted.. the screws didn't line up and I had to change it a lil to make it work.. Today the motors and the controllers arrived.. just in time. There are a couple of things that I still need to get.. wiring for one.. and a parallel port cable to go from the computer to the break out board. I would give you pics, but I have put my camera somewhere where I can not seem to remember where I put it! I have spent most of the day today running back and forth between the house and Home Depot or Tractor Supply, I live like 2 miles away from Home Depot and 1 mile from Tractor Supply..

Doc

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
It's true. In the summer time, I can get exercise just walking, but most times I ride my bike..

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Yes I did.. I have a habit of laying something down and then forgetting where the heck I put it.. I do it with my glasses most of the time.. because I don't usually wear them around the house.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the power supply.. don't have an idea when that will be here.. gotta order some wire.. recon I will do that today..

revwarguy

Active User
Registered
There are a couple of things that I still need to get.. wiring for one.. and a parallel port cable to go from the computer to the break out board.
You may already be aware of this, but a word of advice about the parallel port cable - make sure you get one with ALL the 25 wires in place. Not all PP cables are created equal, especially ones called "printer" cables. You can spend a huge amount of time chasing your tail if some of the wires in the cable are missing or crossed.

If you need a source, I got mine from here - the price was reasonable and they tested the whole thing. Also, you can read more about my DIY CNC machine here if curious.

If you already have the right cable, then never mind! :))

You're gonna have a ball with it!

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Thanks for that lead on the cable.. I will need to get another one, even though there was one in the kit with the motors.. only problem with it is that it is a male/male cable.. so it will not work at all!

Update: Ordered the wire.. 60 feet for now.

cjsamples

Active User
Registered
Hmmm, the parallel cable I use is Male/Male. Meaning pins on each end not sockets. The linked cable is for extending the connection. It would have been bad on the sellers part to send you a cable that wouldn't work.

Looks like you are making good progress. My parts came in from Mouser this week so I should have the router up and going. Then I will have the battle of learning the software and process from idea to item.

Chris

cjsamples

Active User
Registered
I went back and reread the thread on the parts you ordered. The uc100 should have come with a Gender changer so you should already have what you need. The breakout board has a female dsub and the UC100 has a female dsub. Unless you need to get the computer further away from the machine, you might want to use a longer USB cable as it should be easy to find locally. Even in Atlanta I had a helluva time finding a male/male parallel in stock. Luckily a computer store close to GA tech had them in stock......... Like those boys at tech do any automation stuff.......Ha!

I love this CNC stuff. The bug has bitten me.

Chris

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
CJ, I have not ordered the UC100 cable yet, but just now remembered that I have ordered a female/female adaptor.

As for the distance the computer will be from the other box with the power supply and controllers will be in.. they will be about two feet apart from each other..

Update, I still need to order the Helicals.

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Ok.. I have started to lay out the controllers and the breakout board.. I figure that I will put the power supply at the bottom and mount the fans, one on the right so that it blows accross the power supply and the other up from the controllers.. that should keeps things in there rather cool.

SANY0422.jpg

SANY0422.jpg

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Thank you sir.. I have to say, when it comes to electronics, I am not the fastest nuron in the molecular realm!

cjsamples

Active User
Registered
Which break out board are you using? Every BOB I have looked at has a female(socket) end on it. You should have the right cable and not need an adapter. I set up my controller box for my router last week and your installation is looking good. Would your power supply fit into the drive bay? It would be a good place to mount it and it would be secured by the screw mounts on the drive bay. I had some standoff I ended up using to secure mine and it looks like it will keep it safe and sound.

Chris

cjsamples

Active User
Registered
Here are a few photos of my control box. I wanted to get the parallel port out of the box for a good modular set up. I wanted to also use the old exsisting box because it had a e-stop and it also had a great little power supply that provides 12 volts and 5 volts at a pretty high amperage.
Chris

DSC01342.JPG DSC01343.JPG DSC01344.JPG DSC01345.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
hi oakridgeguy
on the back of your case is a db25 knockout, you could remove the screws in yours and mount it in the case with the connector on the outside.
just a thought
steve