I have made the decision to CNC it!

the bigger the motor the smoother the operation at high microsteps with plenty of torque
if money is not the issue here i'd build it with nema34 880 oz/in and never worry about low torque
most builds on the zx45 like mine use 880 on z and x and 1600 on z. i went with 1600 on z and x and 4200 on z and i'm so happy i spent the extra money.
I always try to tell people how to build the most for the least but if you can afford it go bigger.
its like a 1/2hp saw compared to a 5hp saw
steve

Well I did some reading on the Tormach Quick Change system, it really does not speed things up as much as it has tool height repeatability.. And compared to other systems, it is not all that bad in price.

I have a couple TTS collet holders and other assorted tools. If you have a pneumatic drawbar, you can get fast manual changes, or even work in an ATC. For me, it was about the repeatability. The price on the collet holders is not bad either.

That is one of the reasons that I am very much considering going with the Tormach system, is because a lot of the stuff that I will be makeing will be repetitive, not production, but it will be a lot of the same thing, so switching from tool to tool with this would make it a lot easier for me. So I know that if I buy a new endmill, I will have to have a holder for it, for once it is set, I am not going to remove it from the holder.

the Tormach Quick Change system is really nice. I had never seen it until you mentioned it. the price is reasonable and it would make set up a lot faster, once everything is set tool changes would be easy.
thanks
steve

I have been playing with cnc machine for number of years now. I have a cnc router lathe and mill. It has been a rewarding learning curve and I am still to this day facinated with watching a machine make a part that you designed and programed. So for those of you thatf are looking for a machine, evaluate what you want to do with it. Make a list of the individual issues you desire and compare to the machines on the market. Take with a grain of salt some of the negative and in some cases defamitory comments on line toward individual manufactures. Alot of these negative comments are made by what I believe to be frustrated individuals as to learning curve. (learning curve can be frustrating at times but take your time and you will learn) Make a list of what you want to accomplish with a cnc machine and compare that to the aspects of what is available. This of course includes budget. You have decided on a machine that fits your criteria than look at what is available as far as comments experiences etc with that particular machine. Again make sure that what you are reading is not from a frustrated learning curve and actual issue with a manufacturer.

oh your going to get me in trouble!
no I dont need them myself
and on the small machines if you run to the end of travel the machine just humms loud and does no harm.
it does not hurt a stepper motor to stop it.
this will probably open a can of worms in your thread but it is my opinion.
i planned them, purchased them, included them in my wiring and connectors on the panel. and they are sitting in a box.
steve

You guys are a bad influence. Today, I ordered a 4-axis set of 34s in the 878 size, c/w driver board, power supply, cable and a Mach3 disk. I followed the eBay link in Steve's lathe CNC build.

Then I got back to work on my old desktop computer. The hard drive had failed a few years ago. I have another one, loaded with XP, but the peripheral drivers went with the old drive. I stuck the usable drive in an external carrier and downloaded the drivers from my laptop, then installed it in the desktop and ran the setups. Now, the old computer will connect to my network and even access the internet. I think I'll need a small flat-screen monitor. Do you know how much of my shop would be lost to a 19" CRT?

That's a few items checked off the list. It sure helps to have a few people working on the same project at the same time.

You guys are a bad influence. Today, I ordered a 4-axis set of 34s in the 878 size, c/w driver board, power supply, cable and a Mach3 disk. I followed the eBay link in Steve's lathe CNC build.

Then I got back to work on my old desktop computer. The hard drive had failed a few years ago. I have another one, loaded with XP, but the peripheral drivers went with the old drive. I stuck the usable drive in an external carrier and downloaded the drivers from my laptop, then installed it in the desktop and ran the setups. Now, the old computer will connect to my network and even access the internet. I think I'll need a small flat-screen monitor. Do you know how much of my shop would be lost to a 19" CRT?

That's a few items checked off the list. It sure helps to have a few people working on the same project at the same time.

Yes, a flat screen is the way to go, and if you want to be really hi-tech get a touch screen one. ;)

Sounds like you've done your homework, those are powerful motors. Which machine are you converting and what's going to be your 4th axis?

Dedicating a desktop running XP for CNC seems to be the best way to go. However, once you have your software and all the XP updates installed you might want to disconnect it from your network and the internet.
That way you don't need to run an AntiVirus program on it which could cause problems with Mach3 and your other CNC programs, as all AV programs constantly run background checks, which uses CPU cycles and memory.
Don't have anything on there that isn't strictly for CNC use; no videos, screen savers etc; and go to 'Control Panel' and into your power settings and set the screen never to dim or go to sleep, and likewise the computer and hard drives.

M

Back