I have made the decision to CNC it!

Oh by the way, I read somewhere about some non evasive cleaning chemical that would be good to clean off the grease and stuff off the metal on the machine. Home Depot is where I think it is sold. I need something like that, I don't have a garage which with to work in.

I just need to back up a step here. I know that you mentioned your ballscrews early in the thread, but I'm wondering if everyone just orders the X2 kit, complete with mounting hardware, or is there a cheaper place to just get the ballscrews, nuts and thrust bearings to save money?

My stepper kit is in Memphis this morning. Anchorage yesterday. Seems like they had to fly right over my house on the way there. Parachute drop, anyone?

I would make my own mounts and everything but if you dont have any other mill and lathe to use you would probably need to buy the kit.
the ball screws are reasonable on ebay but you will have to cut to length and grind the end to fit the x axis support bearing at the end of the table.
the bearings for a small mill can be just standard bearings there is no real load on them to justify radial bearings.
If you have everything to build your own it is a fun project and planty of material to look at for ideas.
steve

wd40 will disolve the grease without causing it to rust.
steve

I just need to back up a step here. I know that you mentioned your ballscrews early in the thread, but I'm wondering if everyone just orders the X2 kit, complete with mounting hardware, or is there a cheaper place to just get the ballscrews, nuts and thrust bearings to save money?

My stepper kit is in Memphis this morning. Anchorage yesterday. Seems like they had to fly right over my house on the way there. Parachute drop, anyone?

By far the least expensive way is to make your own motor mounts and purchase all the other components individually on eBay. You'll need couplers, a power supply and drivers for the motors.
A TB6560 3 or 4 axis driver board is much cheaper than three or four separate drivers and won't require a separate breakout board.
Ball screws while ideal, are by no means essential for all conversions.

M

Last edited:
I have this stepper package enroute, with a TB6560 driver board: http:
//cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270753584100&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160

I also have a 9" lathe and two other mills, so making mounting hardware is my first choice. I'll cruise eBay and see what I can find. Thanks.

Might be able to order the motors and controllers on monday, I will have to check, but something is getting ordered on monday.

Got it bookmarked Steve, If all goes well, I am ordering the motors and controllers tomorrow.

Back