I have made the decision to CNC it!

Thanks for that lead on the cable.. I will need to get another one, even though there was one in the kit with the motors.. only problem with it is that it is a male/male cable.. so it will not work at all!

Update: Ordered the wire.. 60 feet for now.

Hmmm, the parallel cable I use is Male/Male. Meaning pins on each end not sockets. The linked cable is for extending the connection. It would have been bad on the sellers part to send you a cable that wouldn't work.

Looks like you are making good progress. My parts came in from Mouser this week so I should have the router up and going. Then I will have the battle of learning the software and process from idea to item.

Chris

I went back and reread the thread on the parts you ordered. The uc100 should have come with a Gender changer so you should already have what you need. The breakout board has a female dsub and the UC100 has a female dsub. Unless you need to get the computer further away from the machine, you might want to use a longer USB cable as it should be easy to find locally. Even in Atlanta I had a helluva time finding a male/male parallel in stock. Luckily a computer store close to GA tech had them in stock......... Like those boys at tech do any automation stuff.......Ha!

I love this CNC stuff. The bug has bitten me.

Chris

CJ, I have not ordered the UC100 cable yet, but just now remembered that I have ordered a female/female adaptor.

As for the distance the computer will be from the other box with the power supply and controllers will be in.. they will be about two feet apart from each other..

Update, I still need to order the Helicals.

Ok.. I have started to lay out the controllers and the breakout board.. I figure that I will put the power supply at the bottom and mount the fans, one on the right so that it blows accross the power supply and the other up from the controllers.. that should keeps things in there rather cool.

SANY0422.jpg

SANY0422.jpg

Thank you sir.. I have to say, when it comes to electronics, I am not the fastest nuron in the molecular realm!

Which break out board are you using? Every BOB I have looked at has a female(socket) end on it. You should have the right cable and not need an adapter. I set up my controller box for my router last week and your installation is looking good. Would your power supply fit into the drive bay? It would be a good place to mount it and it would be secured by the screw mounts on the drive bay. I had some standoff I ended up using to secure mine and it looks like it will keep it safe and sound.

Chris

Here are a few photos of my control box. I wanted to get the parallel port out of the box for a good modular set up. I wanted to also use the old exsisting box because it had a e-stop and it also had a great little power supply that provides 12 volts and 5 volts at a pretty high amperage.
Chris

DSC01342.JPG DSC01343.JPG DSC01344.JPG DSC01345.JPG

hi oakridgeguy
on the back of your case is a db25 knockout, you could remove the screws in yours and mount it in the case with the connector on the outside.
just a thought
steve

Back