I have made the decision to CNC it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Axis-Nema...828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6016bc94

Since the description for the breakout board that comes with the kit does not state a voltage restriction. It does have opto-couplers in it.. which in hence would reduce the need for the UC100. I mean, the only reference I see any where is the 18-50 VDC, with no reference to limit or restriction on the breakout board..

So I am thinking,,, run with this one.. it has on the 5v, grn, grn, VDD post all together.. remember I am dum when it comes to this stuff.. but I am trying to make sense of it all.

that breakout board requires a 5v power supply, it does not have its own. thats is a bad chinese translation
and it will barely run at 25000hz it is junk, i tried it on my 9x20 lathe cnc conversion and it would not run it fast enough.
steve

I picked this up at the scrap house just a bit ago.. it is brand spankin new, was still in the wrapper. Got it for .80 cents

SANY0423_zpsb6847fde.jpg

SANY0423_zpsb6847fde.jpg

Well i scarfed all the wire from that power supply that I will not be using.. going to install the power plug reciever later. I will then wire from the power plug to the on off switch then from the switch to where it would go into the 48v power supply.

I still need to get some four pin connectors so that I can hard wire the contollers for the motors.. Since the controller box will be down low, I think that I will run the motor controller wires out the top of the box. This way if I have to move anything, I will not have to disconnect the wires from the controllers, just unplug them and move what I have to move.

For the 5v wires I am using Red. For the Direction wires, yellow, for the main power Black is the load and white is nutural. Green is being used as the ground. I am also using Black as the load from the 48v + side of the power supply to the controllers and white will be the the neg side.

Pins 2-7 are wired as per what Steve said to do.. the controllers have had the dip switches set as he instructed.

Except for waiting for the power supply ( I had to order another one, the first one is the wrong one), which should be here on or before the 24th and some connectors and shrink wrap, it appears that this thing is very close to getting it wired all up. I still have to have the motor side of the couplers enlarged to fit the shaft on the stepper motor.

Oh and that female/female plug hasn't got here yet either.

Last edited:
I take it that's a computer power supply. It would be a good idea to solder a 1000 ohm resistor across the outputs of any voltage channels you aren't using. It isn't recommended to power one of those up without a load connected. If allowed to run open-circuit, it might go to an over-voltage state and kill it's own circuitry. The resistors will give it just enough load to prevent that.

Just for reference, a 1000 ohm resistor will draw a current of 1/1000th of the voltage for that channel. A 12V output will flow 12 mA through that resistance.

I took it apart.. using the wires and the plug that was in it.. all that is left is the box, which Iwill keep and the board with the all the other stuff on it..

Looks like a pretty good score. .80 cents is a bargain. Now........what you need to know. Usually these power supplies require some kind of feedback form the motherboard to make it turn on. When you switch on your computer you hit the switch in the front, that button ain't connected directly to the power supply. There are a few good tutorials on youtube and all across the net on how to make them work as a power supply for non-computer uses. I ran across this kids site before and he does a pretty good job explaining what all is going on and what to do.
http://jumperone.com/2011/06/atx-power-supply-tutorial/

He has some other cool videos as well. Youtube also has some good ones and I bet there is a thread on the zone on doing it as well.

I got lucky on my router and it had a power supply board that gave me my 12, 5, and ground on four different circuits, so I have plenty of places to pull from.

Good luck on the conversion.
Chris

On typical ATX power supplies, there is a green wire in the Molex connector to the motherboard. Any of the black wires are grounded. If you jump from the green to ground, the PS will come on, but as Hawkeye says, you should load it on the outputs you are not using. If you don't have a 1K resistor floating around, you can use a 12 volt automotive light on the 12 volt output, and do the same thing.

Guys, some of the stuff your saying is over my head.. some of it I kinda understand.. But what I did do was to desolder all of the wires out of the board and used them for the wiring of the controllers to the breakout board.

As for the power recepticale, I am going to install it in the tower and will tie it in between the power input from the wall and the power supply that I will be installing.. the main reason that I had gotten it was for the power plug in that is on the box. Then noticed it said 5v output in DC, which I am needing. But I don't know enough to really make it work, so instead, I will find me a 115v to 5v converter and install that instead.

Back