I have made the decision to CNC it!

Here is what I have done so far. Just for your info, I made a note inside the case too, white is neutral.. black is hot from the outlet, switch an to the power supply and on the 48v side of the power supply to the motor controllers.

SANY0430_zpsd9fb1964.jpg

SANY0430_zpsd9fb1964.jpg

Ok Steve,

I presume that the outer ground wire that is on the 18/4 shielded wire, that it will be connected to the common ground on the cassey of the box. Is that correct?

Doc

yes that is the shield wire and should connect only at one end to the case equipment ground. dont hook it up on both ends, I have read that causes a grounding problem or interference.
doc the wiring from the breakout to the controlers is supposed to be shielded cable. it is the low voltage signals and can be affected by cross induction. use the shield wire on all the low voltage you can because the 110v-ac is inside the same case. some of these controllers see very low voltages as step or direction signals
steve

Last edited:
Ten Four! And I presume correctly that the Blk wire will go to A+, Grn to A-, Red to B+ and Blu(Wht) to the B-..

Doc

yes that is right. the shield wire from the motor wires connects to your enclosure since your not using plugs and connectors.
just solder a jumper between all the shield wires and ground it to the case.
steve

Good news.. the new power supply arrived today! Just need one more item, the UC100.

Ok.. may I presume that the E-Stop switch will be between the on/off switch and the power supply or will it be between the power supply and the power to the motor controllers?

Also, will the ground on the breakout board be grounded to the frame or to something else?

The estop switch is actually a low-voltage input to Mach3 that tells the computer to shut things down. On my control board, it connects to a pair of pins on a 9-pin connector. The board then sends that info to the computer on the 'printer' cable that connects the two together.

In Mach3, this input can be configured to either normally open or normally closed by setting Active High or Active Low for the pin number.

like hawkeye said hook estop from pin 10 on your breakout board and ground on the normally closed terminals
steve

Back